THE Scottish SPCA is appealing for information after six cats died after being poisoned by antifreeze in Kilbirnie.

Scotland’s animal welfare charity was alerted after six cats displayed similar symptoms and shortly passed away between May 15 and June 7 this year.

The cats, Jinxy, Missy, Bear, Bolt, Patch and Tiny, all lived close to each other and have been the victims of antifreeze poisoning and the SSPCA described the poisonings as ‘very cruel and deliberate’.

A Scottish SPCA undercover inspector said: “We were made aware of this spate of poisonings after one of the victims was sent away for a post mortem, the results of which confirmed our fears.

“Ethylene glycol is highly poisonous to cats and causes a very slow, painful death. In this case all six cats lived in close proximity to each other so we are dealing with what appears to be a very cruel and deliberate act.

“It is essential that everyone stores antifreeze out of reach of cats and other animals.

“There are strict guidelines for use and anyone who uses this substance to cause deliberate harm is committing an offence.”

Anyone with information is being urged to contact the Scottish SPCA animal helpline on 03000 999 999.