KILWINNING Rangers are set to vote on whether to make the permanent move from Abbey Park to Kilwinning Sports Club.

Following months of discontent between fans, the committee, players and members, the club has finally confirmed that Abbey Park is not fit for purpose and there is no funding to bring it up to scratch.

The Buffs issued a statement on its Facebook page last night saying a ballot on whether to move will be held on Wednesday, January 16 and if the majority want to move to the Pennyburn site, the club will start next season at the sports club.

The Times exclusively revealed back in June this year that Buffs bosses had been eyeing a move to the sports club as a possible solution to mounting problems at Abbey Park.

The news sparked outrage and criticism among some and divided fans’ opinion with some supporting a potential move in the hopes it would help progress the club, while others were determined moves should be made to save Abbey Park.

In the statement the Club says it will reveal “detailed plans” for a move to KSC next week, ahead of the ballot.

The statement says: “Dear Fans, Members, Volunteers, Management and Players

“A few months back a supporters meeting was held to come up with options to replace the changing rooms at Abbey Park.

“At the present time no viable plan has been put forward to the committee and we now have to look at alternative options.

“We’d like to thank the fans group for trying to find a way to keep the team at Abbey Park, however we understand that there aren’t many funding routes available to Kilwinning Rangers and £100,000 is a large number for fans to find in their own pockets in a short period of time.

“At present the changing rooms will be lucky to see this season out, weather dependant, and are unfit for purpose going forward as we’ve already received complaints from visiting teams and officials.

“The committee will be investigating further the option of playing football at Kilwinning Sports Club from next season.

“At the moment there are many unknowns that need addressing, we as a Committee will work to answer as many of those concerns/questions by delivering a detailed plan by the 29th December.

“After a suitable period to allow all concerned to digest the proposed plans We will then hold a ballot vote on Wed 16th January with the option to stay as is or to relocate.

“We understand that this isn’t what a lot of the fans want to hear but the committee have agreed this course of action which we believe puts the future of Kilwinning Rangers first and the final decision will be down to the vote.”