A BEITH carer who was relying on her car to transport a cancer patient to hospital woke up on Christmas morning to find that one of her tyres had been stolen. 

But in keeping with the Christmas spirit, members of the local community clubbed together to help. 

The incident was one of two Christmas tyre thefts in Beith reported to police – one in Chestnut Avenue and one in Grahamfield Place.
The carer, who did not wish to be named, expressed her frustration on Facebook that the theft had left her unable to take a patient to an important hospital appointment. 

Luckily, a friend stepped in and lent the woman a spare tyre in time for the appointment, but within minutes of her social media post about the theft, the woman was inundated with offers of help.

She said: “I didn’t mind that I couldn’t get out to visit friends and deliver presents. I really didn’t mind that I was going to miss the Boxing Day sales either but what I did mind – very much mind – is that I have someone I care for who needs to be at an oncology appointment on December 28 to receive treatment for advanced cancer, which has spread to the spine. 

“I can only hope that the ill-bred and ill-mannered individual responsible for this theft was in a desperate situation and their need for a 14” wheel was greater than mine. 

“This incident has been reported to Police Scotland. Happy, healthy, peaceful Festive Season to all – except you, you know who you are.”

But in a touching Christmas gesture, members of the local community quickly rallied round to offer the use of their cars. 

Praising “the generosity of Beith people”, she told the Herald: “Within minutes of posting [on Facebook] there were offers of assistance. I was overwhelmed with offers of help. A total stranger offered me the use of a spare vehicle he had to take my friend for his treatment. 

“I’d just like to thank everyone for taking time out of their day on Christmas day to provide offers of assistance.” 

A spokesman for Police Scotland said that two separate incidents of tyre thefts were reported on Boxing Day.

The spokesman added: “A crime report has been filed and enquiries are ongoing.”