A man who smashed a car windscreen after “the red mist came down” when he saw his girlfriend sitting in another man’s vehicle, has been ordered to pay £405.

Daniel William McBlane, of Reids Avenue in Stevenston, appeared at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court last week and pled guilty to one charge of culpable and reckless conduct.

The court heard that at around 2am on October 15, McBlane’s girlfriend was sitting inside a man’s vehicle within the car park at Aldi in Saltcoats. The pair were talking when the windscreen was smashed. They both then observed McBlane, 25, running away from the car.

The owner of the vehicle drove away immediately and contacted the police. McBlane was traced the next day and was not cautioned and charged at the time.

The court heard that the damage to the man’s windscreen was £75 and there has been no recovery.

Defending McBlane, solicitor Paul Gallacher said that following the offence, “bridges are being rebuilt” between McBlane and the woman.

He added: “He tells me that in the early hours of the morning on the date libelled, he had went to meet her after a night out.

“He became aware she appeared to be within a vehicle. He saw she was with another man. Frustration got the better of him and he struck the windscreen. He then left the scene.

“He spoke to police shortly after. He also went to speak to his partner and went round to the house of the complainer to apologise.

“He deeply regrets his actions. I think it’s fair to say the red mist came down.

“He’s pled guilty at the earliest opportunity and accepts responsibility.

“I would ask his Lordship to deal with it today with a financial penalty. He has no other matters outstanding and Mr McBlane’s position is that he won’t be appearing in court again.”

Sheriff Michael Hanlon told McBlane: “You haven’t got a significant record and it’s for that fact and the fact you’ve pled guilty at the earliest opportunity that I’m not going to call for reports.”

But the sheriff also added: “This is a serious overreaction and a serious matter.”

McBlane was fined £75 and ordered to pay the car owner £330 in compensation. He was also placed on a Non-Harassment Order, prohibiting him from contacting or attempting to contact the complainer.