Ayrshire Weekly Press Cup Second Round


IRVINE MEADOW 1 (Beith won 4-3 on penalties)

By Stewart McConnell

HEROIC home goalie Stephen Grindlay saved two penalties in a thrilling shootout as the holders came back from behind to reach the quarter-finals.

But a determined young Meadow side tested their higher league opponents, especially in the first half.

Beith created numerous chances after the break but were denied by a string of fine saves by Shaun Newman.

The holders were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box in 18 minutes but Richie Burke's effort was scrambled clear.

Johnny Millar's side came close in 21 minutes when Joe Bradley surged into the box and found striker Darren Christie, whose eight-yard shot was brilliantly saved by


However Meadow took the lead in 25 minutes as Jared Willet blasted home a vintage 25-yard drive.

Beith had a further opening two minutes later as Christie sent a precision pass to David McGowan, whose effort was well saved by Newman.

Then a 10-yard rocket from McGowan produced another great stop from Newman. However the visiting goalie was picking the ball out of the net in 29 minutes as former Meadow striker Ross "Archie" McPherson shot home from eight yards. Just before the break, home goalie James Digney was injured late in the first half after a clash with Andy Cripps, who was booked. He was replaced for the second half by Grindlay.

Home player Conner McGlinchey squeezed an effort narrowly wide from 10 yards in 57 minutes.

A fierce McPherson effort from 12 yards produced a stunning reflex save from Newman a minute later.

Joe Bradley saw his 25-yard shot well saved in 65 minutes.

Bradley set up McPherson but Newman saved brilliantly eight minutes from time.

Into the shootout and Ben Carson was foiled by Grindlay, with McGlinchey scoring for Beith. Chris McKnight then scored for Meadow and McPherson netted for Beith. Lee McCrea scored for Medda and Joe Bradley for Beith. Willet then netted and Christie slotted home before Graham Muir had his effort saved, meaning Beith didn't have to take their final kick.