Ayrshire Weekly Press Cup quarter-final



By Stephen Bark

DYLAN Stevenson bagged a first half hat-trick as Auchinleck Talbot hit 10-man Ardrossan Winton Rovers for seven at Beechwood Park.

The home side were ruthless in attack, efficient in defence and took full advantage of a Winton side who hadn't played in almost three weeks.

It was one-way traffic from the start as Winton barely got a touch on the ball before Stevenson gathered inside the box before firing the ball underneath Dylan Caddis in less than 30 seconds.

Winton's best attacking play came when they still had a fighting chance in the match. Adam Easdon picked up the ball in the left corner before cutting it back for Jordan Cairnie on the edge of the D. The onrushing midfielder's first-time shot was well held by Leishman.

Moments later, it was 2-0. Dylan Pooler picked up the ball on the edge of the box before passing right to Klark Thomson who volleyed the ball beyond Dylan Caddis.

Marc Davidson was booked for a late foul on 18 minutes. Bryan Young whipped the ball into the box and, as the Winton defence were at sixes and sevens, James White found the net from the six yard box.

Just four minutes later, Winton were down to 10 men as Davidson's foolish last man challenge led to a second yellow and a penalty for Talbot. Kier Milliken converted the spot-kick and the home side were already out of sight.

Ardrossan talisman Ryan Caddis had been quiet so far but he was next to threaten when he picked up the ball wide on the right. He then cut inside but failed to find the target from the edge of the box.

Stevenson bagged his second with 10 minutes to half time when Young dinked a brilliant ball through for the winger and he took a touch before slotting beyond the Winton keeper for 5-0.

The home side went in 6-0 up after Pooler bagged his second assist of the game. His pass found Stevenson and the man of the match completed his hat-trick.

The only difference between the first and second half was that Talbot failed to convert most of their chances. Not that it mattered.

After 62 minutes it was 7-0 when Stevenson won a corner on the right. Gordon Pope crossed the ball into the box and substitute Stephen Wilson's header crashed off the post but Pooler was quickest to react and tapped home at the far post.

Winton grabbed a consolation from the spot with 66 minutes on the clock when the were awarded a penalty for handball and Bobby Colligan converted.

Talbot did score again after 75 minutes when substitute Mark Shankland's shot from the edge of the box was parried into the path of Wilson but it was ruled out for offside.

The remaining minutes saw Talbot miss good chances to further humiliate their visitors as they eased through to play Kilwinning Rangers in the semi-finals at Abbey Park.

TALBOT: Leishman; Lyle, Pope, McPherson, J White, Thomson, Young, McCracken, Pooler, Milliken, Stevenson. Subs: Hewitt; Wilson, Shankland, S White, McLuckie.

WINTON: D Caddis; Ross, Easdon, Lennox, McGregor, Davidson, Tan, Kearns, R Caddis, Cairnie, McMahan. Subs: Colligan, Donaldson, McNeil, Jamieson, Neil.