NEW-look Kilbirnie Ladeside suffered a miserable weekend when they had to be content with third place in the annual James "Hammy" Glen Memorial Tournament.

In the opening match played in atrocious conditions on Saturday, Rutherglen Glencairn took on Stranraer Under-20s.

The first half ended goalless although both goalkeepers making some fine saves. Rutherglen made changes at the start of the second half and this paid off when they took the lead within three minutes of the restart. A Ryan McArdle corner from the right was met by Gary Smith at the near post and he steered a glancing header beyond Ryan McLaren and into the net.

Stranraer drew level when they were awarded a penalty after Holland was brought down inside the box. Mitchell Ewing fired his spot kick low to the keeper's left and although Jack Baker got a hand to it he couldn't keep it out.

Just as it looked like we were heading for penalties a good through ball found Gary Smith inside the box and he fired the ball into the far corner to book Rutherglen a place in Sunday's final.

Ladeside were up against Larkhall Thistle in the other semi-final.

With conditions worsening, a few areas of water were starting to lie on the pitch.

Ladeside made the best possible start when they went in front in three minutes when Bradley Rodden nipped in to slip the ball past Stewart Thomson.

Larkhall levelled in 11 minutes when a cross into the box came off a Ladeside defender and went beyond the reach of Keiran Hughes into the net.

The visitors went in front in 32 minutes when Kilbirnie failed to clear a corner into the box and Liam Mushett stabbed the ball home from close range. A minute later David Reed fired a shot in from 30 yards which skidded off the wet turf past Kieran Hughes and into the net. It was game over as Larkhall grabbed another goal in 43 minutes after Sweeney gave the ball away and John McStay netted.

Larkhall made it five just two minutes after the restart when a quick free kick found the Ladeside defence sleeping and McStay pounced for his second.

Ladeside were struggling to make headway and Larkhall increased their lead in 71 minutes when Cory Hughes gave the ball away to McStay who made no mistake for his hat- trick. A miserable afternoon was complete in 87 minutes when a long ball forward went right through the Ladeside defence and Graham Gracie finished off the scoring to make it 7-1.

Thankfully the weather for Sunday's matches was much improved as Ladeside kicked off the third-place playoff against Stranraer U20s.

Stranraer took the lead in 21 minutes when Mitchell Ewing crossed from the left and Reece Williamson found himself free in the middle of the box to power a header into the net.

Ladeside brought on Bradley Rodden at half time and his introduction gave Ladeside a boost up front. Kilbirnie got back on level terms on the hour when a Rodden free-kick from the right found the head of Mick O'Byrne who powered a header past McLaren.

Ladeside took the lead in 68 minutes when a David Orr free-kick from his own half found the head of Rodden 15 yards out and he steered home a fantastic header.

Kilbirnie went further ahead in 77 minutes when a quick break from defence saw Orr play a good ball forward to Rodden and the young striker finished superbly, lobbing the ball from distance over the advancing keeper and into the net. Stranraer pulled a goal back in 83 minutes when they were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box. Jai Holland fired the ball low under the wall as Ladeside hung on to record a much-needed win.

Sunday's final saw Rutherglen facing off against Larkhall and Glens came close in seven minutes when Gary McStay fired an effort in from 20 yards but the ball came off the post. Larkhall took the lead in 19 minutes through John McStay.

Rutherglen levelled when Anthony Dempsey picked the ball up wide on the left and his cross went over the head of Jack Baker and into the far corner.,

Larkhall got the winner in 77 minutes. An error in the Rutherglen defence saw Player of the Tournament McStay win the ball and he ran in to slip it past Baker and seal a 2-1 victory.

Sent from Samsung tablet