BT West One



GARNOCK faced a tricky trip to Bishopbriggs in Glasgow to take on Glen's in a top-of-the-table clash on Saturday.

Both sides were unbeaten in their league games this season so an exciting game was expected. Both squads lived up to this expectation keeping the large crowd of spectators on tenterhooks right to the final whistle.

Garnock fielded youngsters Fraser Brocket, Mathew Richmond and Mark Lee in their squad. New Zealander Finn Cleary finally made his debut and Gareth McCrorie made a welcome back to the squad.

The hosts kicked off and immediately made progress towards the Glen’s try line. On winning a penalty they elected to kick into the corner. A knock-on from the lineout resulted in a Glen’s scrum.

This was won by the Garnock pack and scrum half Ewan Perry was first to react, scoring a try in the corner.

The difficult conversion was missed but Garnock were ahead by five points after three minutes.

This reverse seemed to spur the home side on and they began to show why they were league leaders by attacking the Garnock try area. However, the Garnock defence held them at bay.

Allan Glen’s were awarded penalties in the seven, 18 and 27 minutes in centre field, all within 30 metres. All were converted by their stand off to make the score 9-5 to the hosts.

For the rest of the half. both sides were always willing to run the ball and test the opposition but both were well drilled in defence.

Jordan Taggart came closest to breaking the Glen’s defence but was stopped close to the line. Chris Neill’s astute kicking kept forcing Glen’s back to their-own half.

Just before the half-time whistle the Glen’s number 20 was yellow-carded along with the Garnock number nine for foul play.

The second half started like the first with a bang. Glen’s fielded a ball near their 22-metre line, hacked it on and their centre Levy won the chase to the line to score a try. The conversion was missed but the score moved on to 14-5 after 43 minutes.

Garnock continued to play well and were awarded a kickable penalty but again chose to go for the attacking option and kicked for the corner. From the lineout the ball was gathered and, in a training ground move, Stuart Wilson sped over to score near touch. The conversion was missed and the score moved to 14-10 after 47 minutes.

Play swung from end to end but Glen’s began to gain the upper hand. They rounded off a good passing movement in the 53rd minute with a try at the posts the conversion was kicked and Glen’s moved into a 21-10 lead.

Play seemed to drop and become a bit scrappy. The Glen’s left winger was yellow-carded for a high tackle.

Both squads kept trying to play an open game but the conditions were not helping in the ball handling. Both defences coped with any threat posed. Lineouts went mainly to Garnock and set scrums shared.

The game ended with Garnock defending their 22-metre area

GARNOCK: Matt Shiells; Richard O’Neill, Luke Wynn, Jonny Watson, Lewis McGeachie, Stuart Wilson, Finn Cleary, Rory Dominy, Ewan Perry, Chris Neill, Fraser Brocket, Jordan Taggart, Jared Reekie, Ross Johnston, Tony Woods, Gareth McCrorie, James Gibb, Mathew Richmond and Mark Lee.

On Saturday, Garnock travel to Cambuslang in their quest for victory and league points. This game kicks-off at 12.30pm.