Scottish Junior Cup Second Round


KILBIRNIE LADESIDE 3 (Ladeside won 4-3 on penalties

GUTSY Ladeside marched into the third round of the national competition after perhaps one of the most dramatic national cup ties they have ever played in.

Hampered by injuries to David Anderson and Gavin Mitchell and the suspension of Jon Sweeney, Budgie McGhie’s side were up against it.

However a monumental performance by the Valefield Park club which saw strength of character and huge belief in abundance resulted them leaving Penicuik Park with a penalty shootout win.

Over the two games the Blasties had to come back on four occasions to keep their hopes alive against a very impressive East Super Premier team. Ladeside started the brighter of the two teams, with the lively James Finlay causing the home team lots of bother and he was to prove vital later in the match.

Finlay may well have put his side in front in 15 minutes when he rose inside the box following a Williamson cross which found him eight yards from goal, however he could only direct his header wide of the right hand post.

Penicuik soon after began to take control, particularly in midfield.

Sam Jones had the ball in the back of the net in 26 minutes, but he was correctly flagged offside. Ten minute later the same player was played in by Kateleza but his turn and shot was well saved by Hughes. In 43 minutes, the hosts were given a hotly disputed penalty. Lewis Barr’s free-kick floated in to the box and appeared to be going out for a bye-kick, the referee Duncan Smith pointed to the spot to the amazement of the Ladeside players and their large travelling support, he adjudged that Ross MacKinnon pulled Kateleza's jersey. Aaron Somerville didn’t pass the opportunity by and sent Kieran Hughes the wrong way to open the scoring.

It only took Ladeside until 51 minutes to draw level. Scullion’s free-kick broke to Bembo nine yards from goal and he coolly threaded the ball through a ruck of legs.

On the hour, Cuik’s Ponton should have restored the home team's lead only for Michael Tuohy’s great last-ditch block.

Ladeside took the lead for the first time in both ties in 74 minutes and it was spectacular - Scullion’s corner-kick was met by substitute Kurtis Robert who had his header cleared off the line, Cory Hughes then headed goalwards only to have to ball cleared before Mick O’Byrne entered the proceedings with a brilliant overhead kick which went in to the bottom left hand corner.

Ladeside’s joy was to be short lived however as Penicuik drew level a minute later. It appeared Kateleza fouled Mick O’Byrne wide on the touchline, but the referee waved play on and he hit the by line before cutting back for Aaron Somerville, whose shot was blocked by Dominic McLaren. Barr was quickly onto it to smash it home from 10 yards.

O’Byrne was given the red card for words used towards the referee before the re-take after complaining about the alleged foul leading to the goal.

The Garnock Valley side were really up against it with 15 minutes remaining, and it took the East Coast team only another minute to go 3-2 up, again Kateleza the provider for substitute Hamilton to drive home from close range. With time rapidly running out and a numerical disadvantage Ladeside dug deep and showed amazing resolve and they were rightly rewarded when with six minutes remaining, Finlay got on the end of a Peter McGill volley and direct the ball into the net.

Despite a full five minutes of time added on, the game was to go to penalties.

Reece Williamson was to cancel out Jones’s first kick before Ladeside keeper Hughes was to save the first of two crucial kicks from Williams and Hamilton.

Tuohy and David Crerand made it 3-1. Barr was to make it 3-2 before Scullion made the Ladeside hearts flutter faster when he missed after Allison in the Cuik’s goal produced a great save, making it 3-3.

Up was to step Finlay to fire low into the bottom left hand corner to send the visiting support delirious.

KILBIRNIE LADESIDE: ~KHughes; McLaren, MacKinnon, Bembo, O'Byrne, C Hughes, McGill, Tuohy, Finlay, Scullion, Williamson, Subs: Roberts, Crerand, Anderson, Juskowiak, Wilton.