BT West One



by Tom Dickson

GARNOCK travelled to Cambuslang to take on the local club in their quest for league points and to establish themselves as promotion candidates.

Missing a couple of regulars, coach McDonald elected to include some young club members on the field and on the bench.

Garnock kicked-off in dreich conditions and immediately set about attacking the home try line. They camped well inside the Cambuslang half but were unable to open the scoring until 10 minutes, despite strong running from Jordan Taggart and Jared Reekie, the Garnock centres. Set scrums were going Garnock’s way with their powerful front row of Luke Wynn, Richard O’Neill and Joe Chapman.

The try came from yet another scrum from the Garnock pack. The ball was fed out through the backs to allow Tony Woods enough room to dive over near the corner. The conversion was missed but Garnock were 5-0 up after 10 minutes.

Garnock continued dominating and in 22 minutes went further ahead when Keir Walker converted a penalty from 20 metres.

Garnock secured the Bonus Point try before the end of the first half. In 26 minutes Chris Neill fielded the ball on the Cambuslang 22 metre line and dodged his way through the defenders to score near the posts Walker converted to make it 15-0.

Their third try came in 31 minutes. Garnock were awarded a penalty for a high tackle. Walker took a quick tap, the ball was transferred through several pairs of hands and Richard O’Neill spied a gap and powered over. The difficult conversion was missed and Garnock led by 20 points.

Garnock were awarded another penalty in 37 minutes inside the Cambuslang half. They elected to kick for touch. From the lineout Jonny Watson won the ball and the forwards drove forward, releasing the ball after committing the home pack. Neill and Taggart combined for the latter to cruise for the fourth try. Walker converted and Garnock led 27-0 at half-time.

Two minutes into the second half, Cambuslang’s Lewis Senter fielded a ball well inside his own half and sprinted past several Garnock defenders to score at the posts. Ross Mulligan converted to make it 27-7.

Garnock’s play continued to dominate and it was not surprising that they went further ahead when Reekie scored two tries in 45 and 49 minutes, with Walker converting one.

The Garnock pack were dominant winning most of the scrums and lineouts.

However on the hour, Senter intercepted a wayward pass and sped some 70 metres to score another try. Mulligan converted to make it 39-14.

This reversal spurred both sides and the last 20 minutes saw both sides playing good rugby.

In this period Cambuslang lost two players through injury and Garnock capitalised by running in three more scores.

In 63 minutes, Woods rounded of a backs handling move to score his second at the touchline. The conversion was missed.

Six minute later Garnock were awarded a scrum five metres out in the centre of the posts. Gregor Armstrong was the quickest to pounce on the ball and score. Walker converted.

In Cambuslang’s best move of the game they scored eight minutes from time after running the ball at the Garnock defence.

Garnock, in the guise of Keir Walker, had the last score when he dodged past defenders from 22 metres out to score near the posts and his conversion was successful.

On Saturday, Garnock play Kilmarnock in a league match at Lochshore, ko 2pm.

GARNOCK: Luke Wynn; Richard O’Neill, Joe Chapman, Jonny Watson, Lewis McGeachie, Rory Dominy, David R Miller, Matt Shiells, Keir Walker, Chris Neill, Mathew Richmond, Jordan Taggart, Jared Reekie, Fraser Brocket, Tony Woods, Gregor Armstrong, James Gibb, Alan Miller, Ben Trodden.