McBookie Super League Premier Division



LADESIDE'S long unbeaten run finally came to a bitterly heartbreaking end as they were well beaten at Beechwood Park by Auchinleck Talbot.

Talbot dominated, but Ladeside had the first chance when Peter McGill linked up with Jon Scullion and he played the ball in behind the Talbot defence for James Finlay, but his effort was blocked by Andy Leishman in the Talbot goal.

Auchinleck then started to pin Kilbirnie back and took the lead in 20 minutes when a free-kick into the box found its way to Jamie Glasgow, who fired the ball across the six-yard box for Sean McIlroy at the back post but his effort came back off the bar and fell to Dwayne Hyslop who fired the ball into the net.

Mark Shankland then had an opportunity from a free-kick 20 yards out but his effort was well saved by visiting goalie Kieran Hughes.

Glasgow then had a chance when a long ball was headed on by McIlroy and with Hughes coming outside his box the Talbot striker failed to find the target with his lobbed effort over the advancing goalkeeper.

Kilbirnie then created a couple of chances just before half-time when Finlay and Reece Williamson linked up but the later hit his effort weakly at Leishman. Cory Hughes then played the ball infield to Scullion but his effort from 30 yards went wide before a MacKinnon cross cum shot was dropped behind by Leishman.

Talbot pressed forward at the start of the second half and Hughes made a great diving save at from a Stephen Wilson shot off a low Shankland corner.

Scullion came close in 15 minutes, forcing Leishman into a good save at his left hand post when he curled a free-kick low round the defensive wall from 25 yards out but Talbot quickly broke up field with a long ball which Ross MacKinnon should have dealt with easily but he let Shankland in and the Ladeside man was shown a straight red card when he pulled the Talbot striker back by the shirt on the edge of the box.

Shankland took the resulting free-kick himself but saw his effort come back off the base of the post.

With Ladeside stretched Talbot doubled their lead in 68 minutes when a long ball forward to Glasgow saw Hughes coming outside his box on the right but Glasgow curled a shot around him which came back off the post and fell kindly for McIlroy to shoot into the empty net.

Kyle Faulds should have made it three in when he headed wide at the back post from a Thomson cross. Auchinleck did get their third six minutes from time when a ball through by Thomson to Glasgow pulled Hughes off his line and he skipped past the diving keeper before curling in an effort which was turned into his own net from close range by Mick O’Byrne as he tried to stop Klark Thomson getting the final touch.

With time running out, two goals in the space of two minutes sealed the rout when Gordon Pope crossed from the left for Faulds to head in at the back post and then when Ladeside failed to clear the ball it fell to Glasgow 20 yards out and he whipped a shot in which beat Hughes.

KILBIRNIE LADESIDE: K Hughes; C Hughes, MacKinnon, Bembo, O’Byrne, Juskowiak, McGill, Tuohy, Scullion, Finlay, Williamson. Subs: Roberts, Crerand, Stokes, Halliday, Wilton.

AUCHINLECK TALBOT: Leishman; Lyle, Pope, McPherson, Harvey, White, S Wilson, Hyslop, McIlroy, Glasgow, Shankland. Subs: Armstrong, Thomson, Faulds, McCracken, Hewitt.