Scottish Junior Cup Fifth Round



FORMER winners Ladeside crashed out of the Scottish Junior Cup after a comprehensive home defeat by Bo'ness United.

In a fairly even start, it was Bo'ness who had the first effort on goal when Mackenzie found the ball inside the Ladeside box but his effort on the angle from 12 yards was well saved by Kieran Hughes.

The game really turned in favour of the visitors when after a corner-kick into the box was blocked by Anderson the ball fell to Campbell and with his effort heading goalwards John Sweeney dived to palm the ball away. The referee pointed to the spot and Sweeney saw a straight red card. Snowdon took the resulting penalty finding the net low into the bottom left corner.

Ladeside looked to try and get back into the match and in 31 minutes a Jon Scullion corner-kick was headed goalward by Dominic McLaren but the Ladeside defender saw his effort cleared off the line by Jacobs.

Kilbirnie were dealt another blow at the start of the second half when right back Mitchell, in his first start back from injury, went down and was helped off the field, unable to continue, to be replaced by Corrie Hughes.

With Bo'ness applying more pressure, a corner-kick into the box was headed goalward by Wright but a combination of Gavin Williamson and David Anderson were able to clear the ball off the line. Four minutes later Bo'ness doubled their lead when a Scott corner in was met by a stooping Hunter to head the ball beyond Hughes into the net. In 59 minutes, MacKenzie could count himself lucky not to pick up a second yellow card after a late challenge on Mick O'Byrne with the referee choosing to book Ladeside's McLaren for complaining about the decision.

Hunter was next into the referees notebook after he was cautioned for a poor tackle through the back of James Finlay which ended the Kilbirnie striker's match as he was forced to limp off being replaced by Peter McGill.

Ladeside's first effort of the second half came in 75 minutes when a Scullion free-kick from 35 yards was easily saved by Murphy. With time running out, McGill skipped through two challenges before shooting wide from 23 yards and then David Crerand found himself going forward in the box but Murphy saved his effort from a tight angle.

Kilbirnie's misery was complete three minutes into added time when a ball forward to Kelly saw him come together with McLaren on the edge of the box and the referee awarded a very soft penalty to Bo'ness. Snowdon stepped up to dink the spot kick right down the middle, beating Hughes, who had dived to his left.

KILBIRNIE LADESIDE: K Hughes; Mitchell, Juskowiak, Sweeney, O'Byrne, McLaren, Roberts, Anderson, Finlay, Scullion, Williamson. Subs: Crerand, McGill, C Hughes, Tuohy, Wilton.

BO'NESS UNITED: Murphy; Gibb, Snowdon, Campbell, Hunter, Jacobs, Stevenson, Gemmell, Wright, MacKenzie, Scott. Subs: Hoggan, Millar, Kelly, Shirra, Ritchie.