New Coin Holdings West of Scotland Cup Final


HURLFORD UNITED 2 (Hurlford won 3-1 on penalties)

By Stephen Bark

Pictures: Ross Mackenzie

A SLOW start cost Beith as they lost on penalties to Hurlford United in the West of Scotland Cup Final at Meadow Park last Wednesday.

They found themselves 2-0 down at half time thanks to goals from Calum Watt and Danny Mitchell but they fought back level with a dominant second half performance.

Despite a plethora of chances, the Bellsdale side couldn't find a crucial third goal before Hurlford keeper Ally Brown turned the hero by saving three spot-kicks in the shootout.

It took just four minutes for the opening goal when Watt picked up the ball on the edge of the box and curled a peach of an effort into the top corner.

Less than 10 minutes later and it was 2-0. Poor defending allowed Watt space on the right and his cross found Danny Mitchell for a tap in.

With the wind to their backs, Beith never got going in the first half as Hurlford easily dealt with the near constant long balls.

However, it was all change in the second half.

In fact, Beith could have been level before the managed to find the net. Darren Christie saw an effort saved before John Sheridan headed a cross wide that he really should have scored from.

The ref then missed a blatant elbow by Stewart Kean and Christie's cross just evaded Thomas Collins but presented Andy Reid with a glorious chance which he blazed over.

Beith were back in it after 61 minutes when Keir Milliken's cross found Andy Reid, who headed the ball beyond Brown.

And they were back level four minutes later. Some wonderful one-touch football on the right saw Christie set up Collins to fire home.

It could have been even better after 67 minutes when Brown pulled off a great save from Reid.

Beith then stalled as they couldn't create another clear cut chance to win the match so penalties were needed.

Four penalties were saved but by the time Stephen Grindlay stopped Killie legend Mark Roberts' effort, Beith were already 3-1 down. That meant Thomas Collins had to score, but Brown pulled off another excellent save to seal the win for Hurlford.

After the match, boss Johnny Millar said: "With our second half performance, there was only one team going to win it but we gave ourselves a mountain to climb with our first half performance. I can't fault the boys' effort. I think we should have nicked it in the second half, it was a game of two halves."

BEITH: Grindlay; Bradley, Christie, Collins, Frize, MacDonald, McGlinchey, Milliken, Reid, Sheridan, Wilson. Subs: Cunningham, Docherty, Martin, McLaughlin, McLean.