McBookie League One



WINTON went into this game against a team they don’t have a good record against missing David Adams, Graham Longair and David Wilson but were boosted by Jamie McKenna had recovered from the knock he picked up at Bellshill and with Lee Davidson, David Smith and Mathew Ashe being available again.

Steven Tan partnered Jamie McKenna upfront and he had the first chance in three minutes when the ball was played out to him on the right and although he made a good run into the box he shot over the bar from about 15 yards.

In eight minutes a Davie Cunningham shot from just outside the box was blocked then cleared.

It was all Rovers and in 15 minutes Cunningham played a good ball into the box but the pass was just too far ahead of Steven Tan.

Five minutes later, a cross from the right was deflected to McKenna who headed over the bar.

Yoker’s first real attempt came on 25 minutes when a shot from Clinton Onotu was deflected for a corner. A couple of minutes later the visitors’ won a free-kick right on the edge of the penalty area but Stephen Howie’s effort went straight through to Chris Lamb.

There was another good chance for Rovers in 44 minutes when Andy McGregor played in Cunningham who got to the line and cut the ball back to Sean Mears but he shot at the keeper.

Winton should probably have taken the lead in 47 minutes when the ball was played to the edge of the box and although Watson came out to clear the ball broke to Steven Tan but his shot only went into the gloves of the keeper who had recovered and got goal-side of the Winton striker.

In 54 minutes a Michael Lennox shot went wide following a Marc Davidson long throw into the box.

Yoker’s first real chance of the second half came in 58 minutes when Greg McBride headed a free-kick wide.

Young then hit a long range shot over the bar in 67 minutes.

Winton then brought on Chris Wilson for Michael Lennox just before there was another good chance for Rovers when Andy McGregor passed the ball down the right to Tan, who squared to McKenna in the middle of the goal but he got the ball tangled up in his feet and Watson recovered the loose ball in 73 minutes. Winton finally made the breakthrough in 75 minutes when a ball in from the left came to Cunningham just inside the box and he turned and fired past Watson.

Despite their best efforts the visitors were unable to grab an equaliser and it wasn’t until the last minute that Lamb had a real save to make punching a dangerous shot from Elalil Haji clear and Rovers racked up their fourth win in a row and had a shutout into the bargain.

ARDROSSAN WR: Lamb; M Davidson, L Davidson, McGregor, Maxwell, Lennox, Mears, Campbell, Tan, McKenna, Cunningham. Subs: Wilson, Smith, Watson, Bruce, Ashe.