Macron Scottish Junior Cup Fourth Round



By Ryan Miller

IN the battle of the blue stripes at Abbey Park, Kilwinning Rangers saw off northerners Banks O’Dee.

The first chance fell to Sam McCloskey as his long range volley just went wide. The early pressure was relentless from the hosts as Kilwinning striker Bryan Boylan broke through the middle of the park before unleashing a shot that was saved by O’Dee goalkeeper Vitali Sahhalevtis.

The two teams traded possession but it was again Kilwinning who looked the more dangerous team as wideman Marc McKenzie whipped a dangerous low cross to the back post where his wing partner Carlo Monti was waiting, but his shot was saved by the O’Dee keeper.

It would be a sequence of Deja Vu for O’Dee when McKenzie once again charged down the wing and again crossed the ball into Monti but this time his shot went agonisingly wide.

Kilwinning had a majority of chances in the first half, but were given a scare when O’Dee’s two frontmen linked up. Lachie MacLeod picked up the ball and played a perfect pass to strike partner Jack Henderson, whose powerful shot thundered off the post.

On the stroke of half-time Kilwinning made the breakthrough. Carlo Monti was again involved when he whipped a cross to the front post where midfielder Ben Lewis met the ball with power and his header gave The Buffs the lead.

O’Dee started the second half strongly and dominated possession for the opening minutes. Although they bossed the possession it would be Kilwinning who created the chances. It was once again McKenzie on the ball when he cut inside and curled a shot destined for the top right corner, but Sahhalevtis made a great save.

A ball played over the top caused havoc in the O’Dee defence and Kilwinning front man Boylan pounced on a mistake from the O’Dee centre half pairing. He took the ball away from the defensive duo before taking a touch to set himself and unleashing a volley that rattled the bar and went flying into the goal to give the Buffs a bit of breathing space.

However, almost immediately Banks O’Dee pulled a goal back through striker Jack Henderson. Another cross into the box from left back Dean Lawrie found the number nine at the back post who took a touch and finished easily.

O’Dee once again dominated possession but struggled to create anything of note. However Kilwinning put the game to bed. A great counter attack started with a terrific lofted pass to an on running Boylan who took the ball past the goalkeeper, skinned a further two defenders before cutting back and finishing into the top corner.

In the closing 30 seconds of the game, a moment of madness from Buffs right back Joe Coleman produced a red card from referee Graham Grainger. A dangerous two foot challenge that went right over the top of the ball left the referee no choice but to send the returning player off.

In the end it was a deserved victory for Kilwinning.

KILWINNING RANGERS: Strain, Coleman, Pettigrew, Syme, McCloskey, Monti (Curragh 63), Lewis, Fleming (Taylor 72), McKenzie, Wardrope, Boylan (Smith 85) Sub not used):Whyte.