West Region League One



GOAL machine Jamie McKenna took his tally to six in two games as Winton edged out 'Hill at Lochburn Park to rack up a 10th win out of 15.

The hosts had the first chance in two minutes when poor defending saw Jack Easdon pick up the ball on the right side of the box but Scott Watson made a good save with his feet at the near post from the winger’s shot and the danger was cleared.

In 12 minutes later Ross Ballantyne headed a throw in on to Davie Cunningham who played in Jamie McKenna who made space for himself but his shot was comfortably saved by Wallace.

Winton were on top and creating the better chances but Maryhill looked dangerous going forward but were getting caught offside too often.

'Hill had a good chance in 25 minutes when the defence struggled to get the ball cleared but finally a clearance came off Dale Clark.

A good move involving McKenna and Jamie Cunningham saw the latter run at the defence in 34 minutes but his poor shot went wide. Winton looked to have scored in 35 minutes when a ball was played into the box and although McKenna missed it, Davie Cunningham ran past him from an onside position and headed the ball home. Inexplicably the referee gave offside and ruled the goal out.

Winton came out after the break on the front foot and in 49 minutes Chris Wilson had a shot from the edge of the box blocked. However the visitors finally took the lead a minute later when the ball was cleared out of defence, following another Winton attack, straight to McKenna who hit a first time volley from about 25 yards past Wallace.

Rovers then let Maryhill back into the game with some poor play and defending.

Watson saved a long range shot from Kyle McQueen in 57 minutes ‘Hill were really piling on the pressure and Fraser McLaughlin and Brian Ashe both had chances just before Maryhill equalised on 64 minutes when Rovers failed to clear the ball which was played into the goalmouth and it was forced home by Kyle Robertson from close range.

In 68 minutes McLaughlin had a 25-yard free-kick deflected wide as ‘Hill looked to take the lead. Winton were dealt a blow in 72 minutes when Graham Longair picked up a second yellow and was sent off. In 75 minutes, Ashe had a good run into the box before a last ditch tackle saw Rovers recover the ball which was then cleared. Winton regained the lead in 77 minutes when Sean Mears squared to McKenna about 20 yards out and he hit an unstoppable shot past Wallace for his 18th goal in 18 games.

Maryhill were reduced to 10 men on 82 minutes when Alistair Crawford pushed Andy Hunter, who had ushered the ball out for a goal kick, into the wall behind the goal and was shown a second yellow and sent off just before Jordan Bruce replaced Davie Cunningham. McKenna then had a shot comfortably saved by Wallace and with five minutes left, Marc Davidson headed a Jamie Cunningham cross to the back post wide.

Once again Winton made things difficult for themselves although the pitch made it hard to play football.

ARDROSSAN WR: Watson; McGregor, Hunter, Wilson, Longair, Wilson, Ballantyne, J Cunningham, McKenna, D Cunningham, Mears. Subs: Maxwell, Davidson, Bruce, Ashe.