McBookie Super League Premier Division



BEITH bounced back emphatically from the disappointment of the previous week's derby defeat against Kilbirnie to trounce a struggling Cumnock side.

Defeat for the hosts triggered the departure 24 hours later by mutual consent" of their boss John McKeown and assistant Martin Devlin.

One personnel change saw Conor McGlinchey start his first competitive game since being injured on August 21, replacing the suspended Ryan Docherty.

There was little to note in the opening spell of the match but the action was mainly contained in the Cumnock half and Beith gradually took a firm hold of the proceedings. In 24 minutes, a fine move involving Paul Frize and David McKenna saw Keir Milliken smash a shot into the side netting.

The next incursion saw McKenna shoot narrowly over from the edge of the box. The pressure told and Beith swept into the lead when McKenna burst into the box and shot past recent signing Ally Semple after Darren Christie had created the opening.The hosts were struggling to clear their lines now with Beith keeping the pressure on and they doubled their advantage soon after when Milliken made enough space to fire a shot into the bottom corner from 12 yards. Milliken almost added another a few minutes later when he burst through and fired in an on-target shot but 'Nock defender Richard Murray cleared off the line.

Beith continued to dominate and in 40 minutes, following a penalty shout, further action in the Cumnock box saw the ball cleared into Darren Christie's path and he fired a blistering shot from 25 yards into the bottom corner past helpless keeper Ally Semple

Cumnock replaced yellow-carded striker Scott Anson with Sean McKenzie for the restart but the half started as it had finished with Beith on the attack and Richie Burke had a shot blocked after good work by ever involved Milliken.

The hosts then enjoyed a brief spell of possession of their own with Wood and McKenzie having headed efforts cleared. However this resistance and the contest was all but ended when David McKenna latched onto a Milliken flick into the box to turn and shoot past Semple.

Nock's Paul Burns saw a snapshot from the edge of the box on the hour go close before Beith skipper John Sheridan came forward to powerfully head home a Burke cross into the box. Unsurprisingly the match tempo dropped and changes were made by both sides but there was still plenty of time for Beith to add another when Paul Frize stole possession just inside his own half before bursting forward to cut through the home defence and find the net with a fine left foot shot past again relatively blameless keeper Semple.

A dispirited home side managed to survive the remainder without further loss but Murray had to again clear off the goal line, this time from a Bradley chip, and Semple made a brave stop at Milliken's feet before their ordeal ended.

Beith went about their business convincingly and will be delighted not only the well constructed goals to claim another three points but also in keeping a clean sheet with a solid display from their defence.

CUMNOCK: Semple; Murray, Crawford, Lundie, McKenna, Montgomery, Wood, Esplin, Anson, Burns, Hastings. Subs: Shirkie, Fitzharris, McLaughlin, McKenzie, Johnson

BEITH: Grindlay; McGlinchey, N Docherty, McLaughlin, Sheridan, Wilson, Christie, Frize, McKenna, Milliken, Burke. Subs: Collins, Martin, McPherson, Bradley, MacDonald.