Scottish Junior Cup Second Round



HOPES of pulling off another cup upset were dashed as Winton went down to East Premier League cracks Dunbar United.

The home side squandered a two-goal lead against the favoured visitors.

They made a surprise change in the line-up with manager Bryan Slavin slotting into defence.

Having overcome North Super League team Banchory in the opening round, Winton were quietly confident of springing another shock.

Winton became more assertive early on and good play on the left wing in 16 minutes saw Tam Jamieson link up with Thomas Donavan at the edge of the Dunbar penalty box. He turned back inside and rolled the ball to Lee Davidson and from 20 yards, he curled a shot over visiting goalie John Johnstone and into the far right hand corner of the net.

A minute later a great ball from Alan Muir saw the defence stretched and Steven Tait failed to control his attempted clearance and sliced the ball past Johnstone. Despite the best efforts of Grant Thomson to clear the ball crossed the line for an own goal to give Winton a 2-0 lead.

However veteran midfielder Chris King brought Dunbar back into the game when Andy McGregor gave a soft free-kick away on the edge of the Winton penalty area in 27 minutes. This saw the Winton centre half booked, but worse for Rovers saw King flight his free-kick perfectly over the wall into the top left hand corner, giving Bryan Tucker no chance.

Winton were giving away far too many free-kicks in dangerous positions around their penalty area. Andy McGregor did well on the half hour to clear a dangerous ball into the box by Dean Ballantyne.

Winton had a decent start to the second half creating a half chance in 48 minutes and were playing some nice football, but the first real chance fell to Dunbar in 53 minutes when Darren Handling brought out a save from Tucker. Two minutes later Jamie McKenna fired wide from the edge of the box.

On the hour Rovers were inches from winning a penalty when they were awarded a free-kick on the 18-yard line but Regan Ross’s effort went over the bar. Zach Szemis then replaced Kevin Smith for the visitors.

Winton paid for not taking their chances as Dunbar started to take control and equalised in 65 minutes. Rovers lost the ball and the dangerous Chris King was allowed the time and space to shoot past Bryan Tucker from 20 yards.

McKenna had a chance to put Winton in front again in 70 minutes after Thomas Donovan had played him in but he shot wide.

Dunbar took the lead for the first time five minutes later when the ball was played in to the near post from the right and Darren Handling forced the ball home.

Slavin then headed a dangerous free-kick clear just wide before United extended their lead when Rovers failed to clear their lines on the edge of their box and the ball broke to Fraser McLaren inside the box who scored.

Winton were reduced to 10 men when Tam Jamieson was unable to continue and had to be helped off the pitch and Rovers had used all of their substitutes.

The final action saw visiting player Chris King being given a second yellow for a tackle.

ARDROSSAN WR: Bryan Tucker; Ross, Davidson, Slavin, McGregor, Jamieson, Tan, Muir, McKenna, Donovan, Jamieson. Subs: Lennox, McMahon, Colligan, Irvine.