Scottish Junior Cup Second Round



FORMER winners Beith hit double figures as they coasted into the third round of the national competition.

Johnny Millar's side had this Scottish tie wrapped well before half-time with their far-travelled visitors well out of their depth from the outset.

The hosts looked determined to stamp their authority quickly and pegged the visitors back in their own half, resulting in Kier Milliken finding the net in three minutes with a shot from just outside the box.

Two minutes later Paul Frize applied the finishing touch to double Beith’s lead and soon after he turned provider with a fine pass inside the full back for Darren Christie to shoot past the keeper into the far corner.

Three became four in 22 minutes when Thomas Collins headed home from a corner and five minutes later Frize snapped up his second and Beith’s fifth when he picked up the rebound to shoot home after a Milliken shot had been blocked.

The visitors worked hard to try to stem the tide but they conceded another two before half-time, Ryan Docherty making his mark with both to send Beith in for the break with a seven-goal lead.

Beith reshuffled for the second half with Nicky Docherty and Ross McPherson replacing skipper John Sheridan and Darren Christie with Ryan Docherty slotting into a centre back role. McPherson had to wait only a few minutes to get his name on the scoresheet with goal number eight.

Collins was keen to show his boss what he can do and completed his hat-trick, adding to his first half goal, with counters in 52 and 69 minutes to take the score up to 10.

Young Inverness keeper Fraser Wilkie was doing his utmost to restrict the damage but he could do nothing to prevent a blistering shot from Tommy Martin finding the net off the underside of the crossbar before Paul Frize claimed his hat trick to end the scoring, heading home a Bradley cross before the end.

Beith did their job well delivering a good performance in very challenging weather conditions to ensure it was never in any doubt that their name was going firmly into the hat for the third round draw.

BEITH: Grindlay; McGlinchey, R Docherty, K MacDonald, Sheridan, Martin, Christie, Frize, Collins, Milliken, Bradley. Subs: McKenna, McPherson, Wilson, Burke, N Docherty

INVERNESS CITY: Wilkie; Miller, MacPhee, Paterson, Duncan, Kennedy, Fuller, Chisholm, Kerr, McDonald, Corbett. Subs: Dingwall, Eadie, Fraser, MacLeod.