McBookie Ayrshire District League



VICS suffered a second defeat of the season to a Winton team who needed all three points to keep them in the promotion hunt/.

Winton took control from kick-off and went ahead in four minutes when a ball into the goalmouth from Steven Tan wasn’t dealt with by the defence and it dropped to Thomas Donovan 10 yards out and he fired home to continue his good scoring record since joining.

Both sides were playing well and despite pressure from the Vics, the Rovers defence was looking solid and the visitors first real attempt was a long range shot from Ryan Singleton which went over the bar on 18 minutes. Donovan then had a long range shot of his own comfortably saved by Chris Lamb a couple of minutes later. The Winton defence were restricting the visitors to long range shots and around 25 minutes Grant Bolton and Ryan Singleton both had shots go well over the bar.

Donovan then had a great chance to double Rovers' lead in 27 minutes when a defender missed a kick-out from Bryan Tucker just outside the Vics box and the winger got in behind him in the box but snatched at the shot and the ball went over the bar, Just before the half hour Kevin Adam headed over the bar from a George Bonner long throw-in.

It was end-to-end stuff but the final ball was poor.

However the hosts doubled their lead when a good passing move between Jamie McKenna and Steven Tan saw the latter brought down for a penalty. Alan Muir stepped up and like in the penalty shootout the previous week, he chipped his spot kick into the net in 32 minutes.

Once again the Vics pushed forward but Rovers were defending well an got a third goal a few minutes before the break when McKenna played a great pass to Tan on the right side of the box and he ran in and fired past Chris Lamb from 15 yards in 43 minutes.

Just before the break a good move from Winton saw Tan brought down again for a penalty and Muir blasted the ball past Lamb.

In 50 minutes, Winton had the ball in the net again after a goalmouth scramble when Lamb could only parry a shot but the referee gave offside.

In 57 minutes Winton had another good chance to increase their lead when Lamb could only parry a 30-yard free-kick from Muir recovered and blocked Thomas Donovan’s follow-up shot at his near post.

Former Winton player George Bonner headed wide in 63 minutes as Vics again pushed for a goal.

Visiting striker David Adams was lucky to escape any punishment for a very poor tackle on Andy McGregor which the referee apparently missed in 70 minutes. The Winton centre half was unable to continue after treatment and was replaced by Regan Ross two minutes later/

Three minutes from time minutes later when a corner from the right wasn’t cleared and Grant Bolton headed home a consolation goal fro 10 yards to make it 4-1.

The visitors were then reduced to 10 men with five minutes left when David Adams was sent off for a poor tackle.

ARDROSSAN WR: Tucker; M Davidson, L Davidson, McGregor, Cairnie, Muir, Donovan, Slavin, McKenna, Jamieson. Subs: Orr, Ross, McMahon, Beech, Jamieson.

IRVINE VICTORIA: Lamb; Mears, Wood, Young, Bonner, Bolton, Anderson, Davidson, Adam, Adams, Singleton. Subs: Ablorh, Hamilton, Wilson, Scott, Burt.