McBookie Super League Premier Division



AFTER the efforts of two difficult matches against Penicuik in the Scottish Junior Cup, it was back to league action for Ladeside.

Suspension and injury forced a few changes to the starting 11 from the previous weekend's enthralling match on the east coast.

]The visitors started the better side and Wharton had a long range effort which went well wide.

Ladeside were then dealt an early injury blow when Dominic McLaren went down heavily in the box and limped off to be replaced by Tuohy. Pollok opened the scoring shortly after when Kilbirnie failed to clear their lines and Michael Tuohy, filling in at left-back, was robbed of the ball by ex-Ladeside man Adam Forde and he cut into the box before curling a left foot shot beyond Kieran Hughes and into the far side of the net.

Ladeside tried to get back into the match and some good work by David Anderson saw him feed a good pass to James Finlay but he was fouled 22 yards out from goal. Jon Scullion curled the resultant free-kick over the wall but Longmuir made a good diving save to his right to deny the Ladeside man.

Although Pollok were seeing a lot of the ball, they failed to create too many clearcut chances but when Forde had an effort in the centre of the box blocked, Ladeside countered and good play again by Anderson set up Reece Williamson who cut in from the right before firing in a shot which came back off the post. Pollok had a few long range efforts but nothing to worry Hughes before Anderson linked up with Kurtis Roberts who found James Finlay on the edge of the box but his effort was comfortably saved by Longmuir.

Kilbirnie made a better start to the second half and Scullion had a shot which was deflected wide for a corner. Jon Scullion took the resulting corner from the left and Reon Juskowiak headed back across goal where Finlay rose to head in from close range to pull the home side level.

Pollok were reduced to 10 men just before the hour mark when Evans was shown a straight red card for a late challenge on Roberts.

Kilbirnie went looking for a second goal and Scullion came close after good play on the left by Anderson set him up but his effort went just wide of the far post. Pollok kept pressing and with Ladeside failing to clear the ball they were awarded a free-kick 20 yards from goal after a late challenge by Arnault Bembo. Rowan hit the set-piece low past the Kilbirnie wall, but Hughes saved low to his left hand side.

Bembo had a great chance to get the home side in front in 75 minutes when Williamson headed the ball on for Scullion and his cheeky back-heel sent the midfielder in on goal, however a poor touch saw Longmuir make a good save to block his effort.

With chances coming at both ends, Wharton fired a Pollok free-kick over the bar before David Crerand crossed to the back post where Finlay headed wide. Both teams continued to press but with time running out, the referee ended the match and both teams had to settle for a share of the points.

KILBIRNIE LADESIDE: K Hughes; Mitchell, Juskowiak, C Hughes, McLaren, Bembo, Roberts, Anderson, Finlay, Scullion, Williamson. Subs: Tuohy, Crerand, Sweeney, Wilton.

POLLOK: Longmuir; Evans, Sideserf, Wharton, Gallacher, Rowan, G McCann, McGregor, S McCann, Forde, Young. Subs: Byrne, Little, MacKenzie, Prentice, Brash.

Sent from Samsung tablet