McBookie Ayrshire District League



A LAST gasp goal from David Orr helped Winton chalk up their second successive victory.

They enjoyed a narrow win against their Three Towns rivals, but could have won even more easily had they taken some of their other chances in just one of three in Ayrshire to beat the big freeze.

Rovers made a decent start and the first chance fell to Thomas Donovan after Larry McMahon laid the ball off to him in the box but he shot over the bar in two minutes.

A minute later Thomas Donovan headed the ball on to Larry McMahon but his cross into the goalmouth was cut out and cleared. The visitors’ first chance came in eight minutes when James Maxwell’s shot was blocked then cleared.

In 15 minutes a good move by Rovers saw Lee Davidson’s cross from the left put out for a corner. Scott Reid then shot wide.

In 20 minutes Alan Muir’s corner was met by Tam Jamieson but his header was headed off the line by former Winton defender Michael Holden.

Winton should probably have taken the lead in 35 minutes when Donovan ran on to a pass from Marc Davidson and rounded Paul McCann as he came out to the edge of his box but rather than take the ball on he tried to pass the ball into the empty net and Jamie Donnelly got back and cleared from the six-yard line. Winton finally made the breakthrough five minutes later when following some good work out on the left by Larry McMahon Steven Tan crossed into the box and Thomas Donovan volleyed the ball home from 10 yards. Paul McCann then had a comfortable save from a Jordan Cairnie header, then the striker had a low shot come cross saved by the keeper

From the restart Winton had the first chance when Davidson shot over the bar from a good position after a good pass from Cairnie. Two minutes later a good move involving Davidson and Donovan saw Paul McCann save a Steven Tan shot.

In 67 minutes McKenna at the back post headed a Donovan cross across the goal and out the far side. However in 70 minutes Thistle were awarded a penalty after Munro came in at the back of home boss Bryan Slavin as he was about to clear the ball and went down just inside the box. Surprisingly the referee awarded a penalty-kick which was converted by Reid to square the game.

There was a flare-up in 72 minutes after a foul just outside the Thistle box for them which led to a pushing and shoving match. Once order was restored, Slavin and Jamie Donnelly were shown yellow cards.

Just as the game looked like ending in a draw, Rovers got a dramatic last gasp winner in 89 minutes. Another long throw from the right by Marc Davidson was headed on by Orr and although McKenna seemed to be brought down as he went for the ball it came back to Orr who fired into the far side of the net. Lee Davidson was red-carded for his celebrations following the goal, but the 10 men held out for a vital three points.

ARDROSSAN WR: Tucker; Davidson, McGregor, Slavin, Jamieson, Davidson, Tan, Muir, McMahon, Donovan, Cairnie, Subs: McKenna, Orr, Hanlin, Lennox, Jamieson.

ARDEER THISTLE: McCann; Wilson, Easdon, Donnelly, Holden, Stevenson, Reid, Munro, Bruce, Morrow, Maxwell. Subs: Sewell, McKay, Paterson, Kean, Scotchfield.