McBookie Ayrshire District League



DALRY finally returned to action after the long weather-enforced break.

Merksworth Park was heavy but playable and both teams served up a good game.

The first chance of the game fell to Stuart but his shot was blocked at the edge of the box.

With 15 minutes gone Dylan Stevenson set up Mark Archdeacon with a clever back heel, but the keeper got down well to save.

Pressure was building from Dalry and it was no surprise when they took the lead on 19 minutes. The ball was only cleared to the edge of the Lugar box and Kyle Cumming sent a low shot through a busy box and low into the corner.

On 23 minutes it was 2-0. Cumming turned supplier when he sent a long ball forward for Stevenson to chase and he beat the keeper and defender at the edge of the box to get to the ball first and score.

Lugar threatened in 26 minutes when Blair Lochhead had to touch a 30 yard shot over the bar.

And the keeper was in action again on 30 minutes as Lugar won a free-kick on the edge of the box, dead centre. Lochhead got a hand too the ball to turn it for a corner.

Lugar were more in the game up to half-time in an interesting encounter.

Dalry came out in the second half and started with a flowing passing move which deserved a goal, but the chance was cleared.

Archdeacon then stayed onside and ran in on goal, but the keeper saved his shot. Stevenson took advantage of the ball breaking for him but his low shot slipped the wrong side of the far post.

Dalry were well on top and pressing forward.

A poor clearance gave Stevenson the chance but his shot came back off the base of the post. And Stevenson again this time robbed a defender, but his low hard cross was missed by everyone.

Lugar hadn’t been seen much in attack but in a rare break forward Lochhead had to be sharp to turn a shot away for a corner.

Dalry made a couple of late changes up front with Archdeacon and Stevenson coming off and Ian Cashmore and Lawrie going on.

Lawrie looked to have scored when their ball fell kindly for him, he chipped the keeper and could only watch as the ball hit the wrong side of the post and was scrambled clear.

A good win for Dalry who were glad to get back to action.

DALRY THISTLE: B Lochhead; Brown, K Lochhead, Kirkwood, McGowan, Anderson, Cumming, Lavery, Stewart, Stevenson, Archdeacon. Subs: Cashmore, Lawrie, Fleeting, Friels.