William Hill Scottish Cup Fourth Round



IMPRESSIVE Killie continued their recent revival by putting the 2013-14 Scottish Cup winners to the sword at McDiamid Park on Saturday.

It was the first time in three seasons Gary Locke's side had reached the last 16 of the national competition and they were worthy winners, turning in a solid all-round performance.

And they had on-form goalkeeper Jamie MacDonald to thank for helping them progress as the former Hearts number one made some stuning saves late on.

The win came a week after they had held high-flying Hearts at home and on this evidence their recent poor run of form could be behind them.

Locke was delighted with MacDonald's efforts and said afterwards: "IF there is a better keeper in the country I've yet to see him. Jamie is the reason we're still in the cup without having to face a replay."

MacDonald added: "That was my first triple save ever, of any quality. I was just laughing after the full-time whistle. I don't know how I did it. All three just hit me. I threw myself and tried to make myself as big as possible. It was a a big result for us.our form in the last three or four games has improved massively. We had been on a very poor run."

Killie began strongly and in six minutes winger Greg Kiltie, who had had put pen to paper on a contract extension earlier in the week, won a free-kick following a foul by Chris Millar. Craig Slater sent the resultant set-piece into the top corner of the net.

The goal gave Killie great confidence and they defended doggedly to keep Saints at bay.

Then just before half-time visiting striker Josh Magennis twice came close, with one shot saved by home goalie Alan Mannus and a strong header glancing just past the upright.

Killie were sharp after the break and early on Adam Frizell headed a Rory McKenzie cross just over the bar.

On the hour at the other end MacDonald showed his class by pushing out a strong effort from David Wotherspoon.

With 20 minutes left Saints had a chance but substitute John Sutton sent a shot just over the bar just after taking to the field.

Saints battled desperately to get back into the match/ In injury-time MacDonald made a triple stop, keeping out efforts from Sutton, Dave Mackay and Graham Cummins all in quick succession as the visitors held on for a memorable victory.

KILMARNOCK: MacDonald; Syme. Ashcroft, Balatoni, McHattie, McKenzie (Finlay 82), Slater, Frizell, Smith, Kiltie (Higginbotham 75), Magennis. Subs not used: Barbour, Hamill, Boyd, Brennan, Carrick.

STARMAN: MacDonald 3pts

Magennis 2

Kitlie 1.