BT National League Two



by Danny McGreish

ACCIES' opponents for their last home fixture of the season were Whitecraigs , who, like the home side have had an indifferent league campaign to date .

As both clubs were safely out of the relegation zone " bragging rights" would go to the victors.

In perfect conditions the visitors kicked off the match, the ball was cleanly caught by Gordon Telfer , then "shipped wide " to Jack Anderson Stuart Lamont "stole "the throw- in which instigated a home side attack. After four phases of playAnderson's inside pass released Milan Marinkovic to burst up the middle and take play into the visitors' 22 .

Five minutes in, Accies were awarded a penalty, Anderson's attempt at the posts rebounded back into the home side's possession but a wayward final pass prevented them scoring.

A penetrating break by centre Ross McDougall allowed the home side to score the first try. From a ruck tight head prop Innes Frazer used his bulk to drive over and the conversion was good.

Straight from the restart kick the visitors launched an attack deep into the home 22 and only good defensive play by Accies Captain Stuart Lamont prevented the touchdown.

Accies loose head prop Ben Hamilton was producing some good carries and he was becoming a big physical threat to the visiting defence,. Also the back row of Campbell, Lamont and Marinkovic were winning the battle at the breakdown, keeping Whitecraigs inside their own half.

Whitecraigs scored on the half hour when their number eight Stuart Pollock charged through very weak tackling to score and the conversion was missed.

Five minutes later another burst upfield by Ross McDougall took play deep into the visitors red zone, his offload out of the tackle found Jason Dagledennis who went in for the score and the conversion was good.

In 50 minutes Accies created four clear chances of scoring when they laid siege to the Whitecraigs line, with Milan Marinkovic,Euan Thompson and Martin Pursley all coming close.

It did however look as if one of those chances was successful , Rory Couper gathered a Stuart Lamont pass and powered through the visitors defence to score, but the referee decided that his foot was in touch in the process of going over.

Accies started to use their sus bench with Allan Wilson , Duncan McGregor,Matt Hood and Jamie Thompson coming on.

Home favourite Wilson, was making a welcome return after being injured since December.

Whitecraigs produced a well-supported move on the hour when they switched the play left and right to get into the home side's 22. Again poor Accies defending allowed Greg Haswell to go in for the try and the conversion was missed.

Five minutes later Accies scored again. From a driving maul the ball was put out, and Wilson dummied the pass then slipped through the gap to touch down for the score. The conversion was good.

Whitecraigs scored their third try two minutes from time after Stuart Pollock charged upfield to set up a ruck - the recycled ball was quickly moved through the hands and right wing Louis Senter finished off the move to score. The conversion was good.

On the final whistle Accies deserved their win in a game where there was really nothing at stake.

On a positive note for the home side however, was the appearance of Wilson who brings creativity and rugby nous to the back.

With virtually a first choice backline watching the match from the touchline, the home side's management will be optimistic for next season.