BT National League Two



by Danny McGreish

FOR the first home game of the season, Accies' visitors were Dalziel Rugby Club from Motherwell.

With both clubs losing their first game, they were hoping for a change in fortunes.

The home team sheet showed new recruit from Arran Rugby Club, Stewart McMaster in the second row and Martin Gaetano making his first start on the wing. Missing were Stewart Lamont and Callum McKechnie (injured) also Martin Henry who was unavailable.

In perfect conditions the visitors kicked off with a slight wind advantage, attacking the Saltcoats end of the pitch. Gordon Telfer secured the start kick and drove upfield , from a ruck the ball was spun left to Robert Hunter who took play into the visitors 22 where the home side were awarded the first line.

After 10 minutes of play, the visitors took play deep into the Accies half. From recycled ball, no.10 Johnston drifted through very poor Accies defence to score with Glover converting.

Dalziel extended their lead straight from the restart kick when Accies' weak defence was exposed again. From a drive upfield, inside centre Ross Burrell won the race to a kick ahead and scored in the corner but the conversion was missed.

Accies got the scoreboard moving in 16 minutes after Bruce Hunter stepped inside the Dalziel cover defence to score, however the conversion was missed.

The hosts started to get the better of both possession and territory but still could not turn it into points. Eventually in 22 minutes, a break by Andy Duncan allowed quick transfer of the ball to Gaetano who went in for the try. Jack Anderson converted to tie the scores.

Accies should have scored again shortly after when from a driving maul and their opponents going backwards, they stopped driving, allowing the ball to be cleared.

Five minutes later they atoned for their sins when a replicated move was finished off with Euan Thomson getting the touchdown. The conversion was missed.

With a minute remaining Accies scored again. From a penalty move the ball was transferred quickly to Robert Hunter to score his side's fourth and bonus point try with Anderson converting.

Accies further extended their lead five minutes into the half when a break upfield from Duncan released Scott Campbell to drive for the line. From a ruck, Anderson's long miss pass was gathered by Robert Hunter who went in for his second try with Anderson converting.

The visitors' discipline started to undermine their play as they began to leak penalties. In 52 minutes Accies scored again, when from an attacking lineout Gordon Telfer drove through the Dalziel defence to score, with Anderson converting.

Dalziel eventually scored after they exposed the home side's achilles heel of missing tackles. Johnstone latched onto a loose ball and sprinted in to score. The conversion was missed.

Accies were letting the opposition back into the game as passes went astray and were needlessly kicking away possession. On one occasion the ball was cross-kicked into the opposition 22. The Dalziel full back gathered then ran the entire length of the pitch and only a tackle from Gaetano prevented a score.

Five minutes from time Dalziel scored their fourth and bonus point try. From an attacking lineout, the ball was put out and again ineffective home defence allowed free passage to the line.

As the final whistle approached, Accies scored again. The ball was moved wide and Bruce Hunter's inside pass found his brother Robert to go in for his third try.

Accies will be grateful for the win but made far too many mistakes.

ARDROSSAN ACCIES: B Hamilton; S Campbell, S Docherty, E Thomson, S McMaster, K Wood, J Thomson, G Telfer, S Lewis J Anderson, G Lewis, R Hunter, B Hunter, M Gaetano,A Duncan. Subs: A Wilson, J Young, L Maxwell, C Miller.