BT National League Three



By Danny McGreish

ACCIES welcomed Aberdeen club Gordonians to the Memorial Field on Saturday.

The hosts were hoping to continue with another win after their victory at Inverness last week. Their team sheet showed Martin Henry returning to the second row and tighthead prop Innes Frazer listed as a replacement.

In very dreich and wet conditions, Jack Anderson kicked off the match and for the first 10 minutes, the home team were encamped in the visitor's half. Only determined defence by the Gordonians team was preventing Accies from scoring.

They came very close to putting points on the board in 12 minutes. After a good line out catch by Martin Henry, the ball was transferred wide, Robert Hunter broke the defence and carried deep inside the visitors 22. When tackled , the ball was recycled but it was nudged forward with the line beckoning.

Two minutes later the visitors managed to get into the Accies half where they were awarded a penalty, they opted for a kick to touch for an attacking lineout. A good take and driving maul by their big pack was finished off by number eight Cooper touching down. The conversion was good by full back Gregor Crawford.

In 20 minutes Accies scored their first try after Kyle Wood finished off a forward drive to score in the corner. Jack Anderson's conversion attempt rebounded off the upright.

The home side were certainly enjoying territorial advantage and were producing some excellent passages of play despite the arduous conditions. Eventually their pressure paid off when Kyle Wood scored his second try after another forward surge, Anderson converted to put his side on 12 points.

It wasn't until the 35th minute that the visitors put together a really good handling move that took play just short of the home line but determined defence prevented them from scoring.

With the rain falling incessantly, Gordonians kicked off the second period , the ball was spilled by the Accies and a scrum given to the visitors. Accies were penalised at the scrum and Gordonians kicked for another attacking lineout where they replicated their first try by Cooper scoring again ,the conversion was missed.

Straight from the restart kick Gordonians scored their third try. From a driven lineout, open side flanker Scott Whittet burst through the home defence. His pass released right wing Stuart McMillan to sprint for the line and only a fine cover tackle by Stuart Lewis stopped him from scoring, but prop forward Williams who was running in support, scooped up the ball and scored. The conversion was missed.

Accies started to use their bench, Ruriahd Anderson came on for Robert Hunter and Innes Frazer replaced Stuart Docherty at tight head.

Conditions were now quite deplorable but both teams were still competing admirably. Accies however still had territorial advantage but were unable to get the ball over the line.

Accies did manage to get over the line on the hour but the referee decided that the ball was held up and awarded a five-metre scrum. Several "pick-up and goes" by Gordon Telfer, Innes Frazer and Ben Hamilton came desperately close, before the ball was released wide for Bruce Hunter to go in for the score. The conversion was missed.

Both teams should be complemented for competing in very difficult conditions, but Accies will be disappointed that they could not turn their dominance into points.

Perhaps given the weather, it would have been wiser to keep the game tight and rely on their pack who were very good in the trying conditions.