COUNCIL chiefs still haven’t fixed fire damage in Stevenston after a pensioner’s bins were set ablaze.

Una Graham told the Herald how her unwell elderly mum’s wheely bins were set ablaze on Thursday, November 7 after the 89-year-old resident moved into the home on Stevenston’s Afton Road.

As well as the sick ‘idiots’ leaving the burnt out mess, the bin blaze caused damage to the door, gutter, bathroom window and roughcast with no repairs on the property after three weeks.

However after inquiries by the Ardrossan Herald, Una said the council came back and promise the rubbish will be cleared this week.

Una Graham said: “It happened at around 9.30pm that was when I heard it cracking – if I hadn’t been there that night my mum might have died.

“The door was severely damaged as well as the outdoor window above the wheeley bins.

“The fireman said the front door needed replaced immediately but the council said six weeks because it has to be made to measure.

“They said they would treat it as a priority but it has been almost three week’s already. If I had paid for a joiner we would have had it done already.”

“The council said the rubbish will be lifted sometime this week, but I don’t know if I believe them." 

A spokesperson for North Ayrshire Council said: “We have visited the property and met with Mrs Graham to assess the damage.

“Following the visit, we instructed repair works which will be carried out in line with our repairs policy.”