Two men have been exposed to a chemical at an ongoing incident at a school in Ardrossan.

Both Police Scotland and Scottish Fire and Rescue Services (SFRS) attended Stanley Primary School this morning.

A chemical reaction resulting from a spillage triggered the school's alarm system and children were evacuated.

Canopies at the school were being cleaned when a chemical being used was spilt.

The spillage reportedly produced a strong odour and children, believed to be nursery pupils, who were at the premises were sent home as a precaution.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “We were alerted at 11.39am on Friday, January 3, to an automated fire alarm at Stanley Primary School, Stanley Road, Ardrossan, North Ayrshire.

“Operations Control mobilised four appliances to the scene, where crews assisted two male casualties who’d been exposed to a substance thought to be caustic soda.

“They were both handed into the care of the Scottish Ambulance Service.

“Firefighters remain at the scene.”

A North Ayrshire Council spokesperson said: “During a scheduled cleaning of the kitchen canopy at Stanley Primary, there was a chemical reaction which triggered the fire alarm.

“While the school was closed for the holidays, we did have a small number of children attending the early years centre. Although this incident did not present any danger to our young people, the decision was taken to send children home as a precaution.

“We’d like to thank the Fire Service for responding quickly and helping to deal with the matter effectively, and we expect no issues for the pupils returning from the Christmas break on Monday.”

Police received contact from SFRS at 11.42am today.

The spillage is being cleaned up.