A MAN faces trial for allegedly filming himself sexually abusing a child, who is now dead, in the 1980s and indecently touching two boys in an Irvine children’s home.

Fredrick Alcroft, 68, is accused of historic abuse claims against three separate children – with the youngest aged nine – at addresses in Ardrossan and in Irvine’s Dalrymple Court care home.

Alcroft pled not guilty to three charges of lewd, indecent and libidinous practices and behaviour towards children from 1984-89.

Alcroft, whose address is listed as Bognor Regis, West Sussex, had his case back before Kilmarnock Sheriff Court last week [Monday March 16] after a previous hearing on March 9.

The court heard that the accused’s case was subject to a European Investigation Order and that the trial – which would be heard before a sheriff and jury – would involve a TV link from a witness in Belgium.

However there could be a considerable delay in proceedings – with no new criminal trials involving juries to be commenced until further notice across Scotland’s Sheriff courts amid the coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak.

Alcroft stands accused of abusing a boy aged 12-13 – who court papers state is now deceased – by removing his clothing, touching his leg, placing his hands inside his clothing and performing a sex act at addresses in Dalry Road and Winton Road in Ardrossan.

The charge states he also allegedly video recorded the acts between June 4 1984 and June 3 1986.

He was accused of abusing another boy aged between nine and 11 at Dalrymple Place Children’s Home in Irvine. between April 14 1986 and April 13 1989.

At the same children’s home, he was accused of abusing a third boy, then aged 10 or 11 years old, by touching him on his leg and private parts between June 14 1986 and June 13 1988.

Prosecutors also intend to lead evidence that he allegedly abused the first deceased victim named in charge one at a caravan site in Silloth, England, despite the crime not being libelled “as it is relevant evidence to the three charges”.

Alcroft pled not guilty to all three charges against him when he appeared.