A THUG who left a man scarred for life while he tried to rob a convenience store ran in front of a moving bin lorry while making his escape.

Jordan Dewar pounced on shop owner Jugtar Gill at the premises in Dalry, on February 5, 2021.

The 29-year-old sliced Mr Gill’s forearm with a box knife after demanding cash.

Dewar fled the scene when he saw the victim’s gaping injury.

He then walked in the path of the bin lorry which caused him to fall to the ground.

Dewar pled guilty today at the High Court in Glasgow to assaulting Mr Gill and attempting to rob him to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement.

The court heard Mr Gill was working alone in the shop when Dewar entered with his hood up.

He approached Mr Gill at the till and asked for cigarettes and £80 cash back.

Prosecutor Sheena Fraser said: “He walked away from the counter and wandered around the shop before going to the side of the counter behind the till.

“He produced a yellow box cutting knife and said to Mr Gill ‘give me the f***ing money’.

“Mr Gill attempted to grab both of Dewar’s arms.

“At this point, he slashed the shop owner to his left forearm causing a deep wound.”

Mr Gill pushed Dewar who fell backwards before the attacker tried to pounce again.

But, Mr Gill grabbed a bottle as Dewar’s hood fell down and his face became visible.

Dewar told him: “That bottle ain’t going to do anything.”

Miss Fraser added: “At this point, Dewar noticed the cut to Mr Gill’s arm and said something like ‘oh you’ve been cut’ and left the premises.

“Once he left the shop, he turned towards Roche Way while a man was driving a bin lorry along the road.

“He saw Dewar as he ran down the road and expected him to stop but he didn’t.

“He jumped the barrier and continued to run on the road whereby the driver believes he struck him with the lorry.

“Dewar picked himself up and moved to the other side of the road where he collapsed.”
Dewar rose to his feet “appearing uninjured” and ran off.

Mr Gill was taken to hospital meantime for treatment to a wound to his left forearm which required 18 stitches.

Fortunately, the wound caused no damage to his underlying major structures, nerves, tendons or blood vessels.

Miss Fraser added: “Mr Gill has a permanent scar from this wound.”

An “out of breath” Dewar was traced to his home by police and he was arrested.

He was charged with the offence then stated to officers: “Wit you talkin aboot.”

The hearing was told Dewar, of Dalry, has multiple previous convictions which include several for assault. 

Sentence was deferred until next month for background reports by judge Lord Weir who continued Dewar’s remand in custody meantime.