A BEITH man wrote off his girlfriend's car after taking it from her home without her consent while she was on holiday and going for a high-speed joyride through a quiet seaside town.

Jonathan Heath pleaded guilty to four charges and was warned that all sentencing options will be open when he returns to Kilmarnock Sheriff Court next month.

At a hearing on September 29, the procurator fiscal depute said the 25-year-old's partner was on holiday in Greece when Heath decided to use her Vauxhall Corsa.

He had a key to her property in Woodburn Road and attended the home while she was away, with the car parked and secured outside on the day in question (June 24).

The fiscal depute said: "At 4.25pm police were on mobile patrol on the A78 and observed a bus stop at a stop directly opposite them.

"The Corsa was travelling south and approaching the bus. The bus pulled away and the vehicle overtook it as it approached a pedestrian crossing forcing oncoming traffic to stop.

READ MORE: Teenager awaits sentence after admitting sexually assaulting five young girls

"Police decided to stop the vehicle and put on their emergency lights."

The fiscal depute said the back end of the car was "squatted down as if it was under hard acceleration".

Heath then made off and failed to stop at a stop sign, sparking a police pursuit.

"They continued onto Brisbane Road [in Largs]," added the fiscal depute, "and the accused reached speeds in excess of 70mph in a 30mph zone.

"He approached a crossroads and failed to give way, colliding with a parked vehicle.

"As he came down the road onto a hill he began to turn left but lost control, mounting a footpath then travelling along it between a parked van and a garden wall."

READ MORE: Young dad placed on community payback order after harassing his ex

Heath denied part of the original charge which stated he jumped out of a moving vehicle, claiming instead that he had put the handbrake on then jumped out and the car rolled away.

The fiscal depute continued: "The accused left the vehicle but failed to properly engage the handbrake and the vehicle continued without anyone in it. It entered a driveway and hit a small wall within the garden."

Police officers checked the vehicle when it had stopped and found Heath's wallet inside.

The vehicle, which he did not have valid insurance cover to drive, was written off and Heath handed himself into Govan police office after officers were unable to locate him at his home.

Defence solicitor Peter Murray told the court his client "accepts he has now pleaded guilty to extremely serious matters and that all options will be open [to the sheriff for sentencing]".

Sheriff Colin Bissett said: "You have pleaded guilty to an extremely serious set of charges which must have caused considerable alarm to the people of Largs.

"If I was to conduct a poll of people in Largs I imagine a majority of them would want me to send you to jail."

Heath responded: "I imagine so."

The sheriff added: "But I am not a man who is swayed by public opinion."

Sentence was deferred for the preparation of background reports and Heath, of Jamieson Way, was bailed. He was disqualified from driving in the meantime and will return to court on November 9.