A SALTCOATS man is planning his "most emotional" fund-raiser as he looks to pay tribute to the "main figure" in his life.

Devin Cameron plans to run a marathon, which he will orgainse and run off of his own back, to raise funds after recently losing his papa following a six-year battle with cancer.

He has set a modest goal of £500, with the total raised to be split 80/20 between Prostate Cancer UK and Devin's own gym, the IMC Project.

He is already well on the way to reaching his goal, with his GoFundMe page (available at tinyurl.com/DevinMarathon) having already raised £410 at the time of writing.

Devin is no stranger to fund-raising, having completed a sponsored spar only last year - and having run two half marathons only a few years ago - which have raised around £1,000 in total.

His latest effort will provide an altogether different challenge - given his emotional attachment to the cause.

Devin said: "My papa was my main father figure for the majority of my life, he taught me how to be honest, have pride, be myself and more importantly how to be strong. Not only as a person but in life.

"My papa recently lost a six-year battle with cancer through which he fought off Covid and many other infections.

"He stayed strong the whole way through continuously walking for miles and miles every day to keep his spirits high until the cancer hit his spine preventing him from walking; even then he still ‘drove’ for miles every day on his electric scooter.

"He still made it to every family event, my uncle's graduation, family do’s, walks with me and other family members to Costa for a catch-up.

"He never let us see him suffer, his pride was too high and he was too strong."

Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald: Devin out on one of his catch ups with his Papa.Devin out on one of his catch ups with his Papa. (Image: gofundme)

Devin says he knows this will be an emotional occasion, but he wants to channel his grief into something which will make a difference.

He added: "I plan to make this my third and most emotional, I recently ran the Loch Ness Marathon back in October and had many motivational texts from my papa along the way.

"He’s always fighting by my side and it's for this I ask for donations towards Prostate Cancer UK so hopefully no other family needs to go through this.

"I want to use my grief and sadness towards something positive and productive. This is my way of doing that.

"80 per cent of my funds will be going to Prostate Cancer UK, the other 20 per cent into my boxing club, The IMC Project, which my papa supported for what it has provided for me and my younger brother, Alfie.

"This will go towards trips, equipment etc. for the boys in his memory.

"I will present both charities with their money once it is withdrawn after I finish the marathon.

"Miss you forever papa, words cannot describe how I feel."