A JEALOUS husband "crossed the line" after erupting in a fit of rage when he suspected his wife was cheating on him.

Kilmarnock Sheriff Court heard that oil rig worker Stephen Mills blew up at his partner amid claims that she had been hacking his phone, spying on him and booking secret hotel trips behind his back.

The 40-year-old pleaded guilty to shouting at the woman, throwing items of property around their house in West Kilbride, kicking a door and acting aggressively.

Last week's court hearing was told that Mills had a domestic conviction from a previous "toxic relationship" - but he has been with his current partner for more than 12 years with no offending in that time.

The procurator fiscal depute told Thursday's (February 16) hearing that Mills had been drinking heavily around the time of the recent offence and had been accusing his wife of hacking into his phone.

The fiscal depute said: "[On January 26] the accused disturbed and interrupted the complainer while she was working from home and questioned her about the supposed hacking.

READ MORE: Police appeal to help trace Kilwinning man after 'out of character' disappearance

"He claimed she had been booking hotels for two people not including himself.

"He took hold of her phone and threw it on the floor.

"At 5pm she stopped working and went to her mum's house to pick up their son.

"When they returned home, the accused told the son to go upstairs to his room.

"The accused then closed the kitchen door and started shouting at the woman.

"He threw a phone through the kitchen which chipped a worktop before picking up a plate and smashing it into pieces in the sink.

"He also kicked a back door leaving marks on it."

READ MORE: Kilwinning business in 'shock and disbelief' after broad daylight vandalism

The woman was said to have been "upset and scared" as her husband's behaviour had been "unpredictable" and she was unsure what he might do next.

Police were contacted and Mills tried to take the phone off his wife.

When officers arrived at the home in Bellard Walk at around 5.45pm, she was found to be upset, he was angry and damage was noted in the kitchen.

Defence solicitor Peter Murray said the offence was an "isolated incident" and "not indicative of their relationship".

Mr Murray said: "Drink certainly played its part but jealousy was the main reason for this.

"Somebody had accessed his Gmail account, and the communication and hotel bookings gave rise to the suspicion that something was going on.

"He is wholly satisfied that nothing is going on.

"He knows he crossed the line and upset his wife and he is ashamed of that."

Sheriff Sheena Fraser deferred sentence for six months for Mills to be of good behaviour and to allow him to "demonstrate to the court that this was a one-off situation".