A SEX offender who preyed on two girls on a bus journey between Irvine and Stevenston has been jailed for more than two years for hurling abuse at ambulance workers on the day he was let out of prison.

William Donahoe was caged back in 2021 for indecent behaviour towards two 12-year-old girls during the bus journey – in defiance of bail orders.

The 23-year-old was brought back to court from custody last week after lashing out at paramedics the day he was set free – having been locked up for more breaches of a court’s orders.

We previously reported how a male passenger on board a number 11 bus had to step in to protect the girls from Donahoe’s unwanted attention during the journey in February 2021.

A female passenger walked the pair home, after both they and Donohoe got off the bus in Stevenston, before police were called.

He was jailed for 19 months for the offence and was put on the sex offenders register for 10 years.

Following several more breaches of court orders, Donahoe was locked up once again – but in the early hours of January 27, having been released from HMP Kilmarnock the previous day, he was back in trouble after shouting, swearing and acting aggressively towards paramedics in Irvine’s Crofthead Court and repeatedly spitting within an ambulance.

He admitted a second charge of spitting on a police officer in the town’s Towerlands Road on the same day.

Kilmarnock Sheriff Court heard that Donahoe had dialled 999 and asked for an ambulance, stating he had taken an overdose – but that as soon as paramedics arrived he told them to “f*** off” and “f*** you”.

Police were called and found a half-empty bottle of vodka and some medication at the locus; Donahoe again shouted “f*** you”, and this time spat towards a police officer, narrowly missing him and instead striking a monitor within the vehicle.

He had to be held on the ambulance floor; on being released from Crosshouse Hospital and discharged, he was cautioned and charged by police and told them: “I’m sorry.”

Peter Murray, defending, said Donahoe was “aware his conduct is deplorable and totally unacceptable”.

Mr Murray told Sheriff Colin Bisset: "He had been at liberty that morning from HMP Kilmarnock. Such is his background he was taken to social work, then the housing office.

"He was then left to his own devices for a number of hours. He wandered through town then went for a drink.

"As you know one drink is too many. He deliberately took prescription medication after he had taken a bottle of vodka."

Sheriff Bisset said: "The question for me is the pattern of offending. It doesn't seem particularly violent, but it is persistent and unpleasant."

Donohoe was finally sentenced on June 2 after background reports and an assessment of the risk he will pose to the public on his release were prepared – and after delays in bringing him to court from Barlinnie prison.

Sheriff Bissett revoked Donohoe’s previous community-based punishment and imposed a 26-month sentence – backdated to January 30.

Donohoe will also be supervised for a year when he is eventually released from jail.