A Three Towns man who brandished a golf club before suffering stab wounds in a knife fight has avoided jail for disorder in Irvine. 

Gary Grant pleaded guilty to carrying the offensive weapon in Dickson Drive in August 29 last year after leaving a trail of blood following an armed battle involving several others. 

The 41–year-old, of Alexander Avenue, Stevenston, received community service for shouting, threatening violence and having a fight with others unknown to prosecutors while out on bail.

He was also tagged for a second complaint of possessing 3.7g of cocaine in Harley Place, Saltcoats.  

The procurator fiscal depute said: “At 11.30 in the morning witnesses were in their home address when a red Vauxhall appeared with a driver and passenger inside.

"The accused exited and began shouting ‘Callum’ repeatedly, then retrieving a golf club and entering the common close. 

"He shouted 'I’ll be back later with a shotgun'.  He left followed by four males.

"Another witness observed the golf club raised over his head.  

“When outside an altercation was observed with six males engaged in a fight.

"It was noted the accused received a puncture to his back and stab wounds to his hands. He left in a vehicle, leaving a trail of blood."  

Police later attended Crosshouse hospital where he stated "three guys attacked me" and he had the golf club "for protection".  

On being treated for his injuries, he was told he was under arrest, cautioned and charged. 

He replied: “This is a joke man.” 

Defence solicitor Rebecca Horton said: “I would submit this is a positive [social work] report with his circumstances. He is 41-years of age and resides at the address with his ex partner.  

“He has at no point tried to minimise his actions, he accepts he had a choice and acted in the wrong way. 

“He has made positive changes in his life through his own effort – Mr Grant fully accepts he has some distance to go.” 

Sheriff Nicola Patrick said: “I have carefully considered everything said on your behalf and had the benefit of the [social work] report.  

“Regarding the matter of the weapon that meets the threshold for custody, to make clear this is a direct alternative to custody.” 

He was placed on a community payback order under social work supervision for 18 months and told to complete 180 hours of unpaid work. 

For the separate complaint of possessing cocaine, he was tagged for three months and ordered to remain home from 7pm-7am.