A KILBIRNIE man who subjected police officers to a tirade of verbal abuse has been jailed.

James Porter lost the rag after cops told him to stop shouting at a young girl, a court heard.

The 48-year-old pleaded guilty to a charge of threatening or abusive behaviour and to breaching a condition of a bail order.

Porter, of Ladeside Court, appeared from custody at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court last week.

The incident happened after police were called to another matter in Beith at around 3pm on November 9.

The procurator fiscal depute said Porter was seen sitting at a bus stop in the Longbar Avenue area of Glengarnock when the cops stopped to offer him assistance.

The officers asked him to sit in the back of a police vehicle while they tried to get him help, but that while doing so, Porter began to shout at a young girl who was looking in the direction of the police.

Upon being asked to stop by police, the Kilbirnie man took exception and told the officers: “I can do what the f*** I want.”

The attending officers continued in their pleas for Porter to desist, however he continued to shout and called them “dirty b******s”, “scummy creeps” and “p****s”.

Officers then took Porter to Saltcoats police station - but he continued to berate them during the journey.

The court heard that Porter told the cops "if you let me out this van you will not live to see 20", as well as calling them “f***ing m***os”, “scumbag b******s” and “black b******s”.

Porter appeared in court on November 10 and, after pleading guilty, was granted bail prior to sentencing.

As part of the bail order he was told to stay at home each night between 7pm and 7am - but only four days later he breached the condition by staying out until 2am.

He appeared in court for a second time and this time was remanded in custody.

Simon Brown, defending, said Porter had been having issues with his mental health at the time and that his "emotions got the better of him" on the day of the original incident.

Mr Brown said the bail breach arose because Porter had gone to his mother's house for dinner after being made aware she was ill, and had fallen asleep before returning home beyond his curfew.

Sheriff Laura Mundell imposed a four-month jail term, backdated to November 15.