FANS of the iconic Metro nightclub in Saltcoats will need to wait before they can return to the venue.

Organisers of the opening night, Metro Reloaded, which was due to take place on Friday, January 26, have confirmed that the event has been postponed.

The decision has been made due to “circumstances out with the control” of both the promotors of the event and the owners of the Hamilton Street nightclub.

It is understood that the relevant paperwork has not yet been cleared to allow ‘Transcend’ to take place as planned.

READ MORE: Look inside the famous Metro nightclub in Saltcoats as opening plans take shape

But the organisers insist the event "will definitely be going ahead" - and have revealed details of rescheduled dates to fans of the famous venue, which has been closed for more than a decade.

Original tickets purchased for both the opening night, and event the day following, will still be valid. Those unable to attend the new dates - scheduled to be Friday, February 16 and Saturday February 17 - will be offered a refund.

Tickets for the original opening dates sold out within two hours of going on sale just after Christmas.

Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald:

A spokesperson for the organisers said: “Unfortunately due to circumstances out with ourselves and the venue’s control we are going to have to postpone our two events at the Metro on January 26 and 27.

“However, we do have two replacement dates instead for February 16 and 17 which will definitely be going ahead.

“For anyone who has purchased a ticket, your original ticket will be valid for the rescheduled date. If you can now no longer make it you will be issued a refund. You will receive an email shortly in regards to this.

“We can only apologise for this and hopefully everyone can make the rescheduled dates.”

Local businessmen Gary Burns and Stevie Miller took on the venue - which shut up shop in 2011 after 22 years in operation - shortly before the first Covid lockdown in the spring of 2020.

Fans reacted with disappointment after the news was announced on the Metro's Facebook page late on Wednesday, with one admitting they were "gutted" at the announcement - but adding "see ya in February".

Another said: "That's awful after all your incredible hard work over the past 4 yrs. Control the controllable, ignore the naysayers, and hopefully the blocker is satisfied."

A third commented: "Gutted for you guys, some things you can’t control! Temporary setback. Keep fighting the good fight."