An Ardrossan man is awaiting his fate after assaulting his partner following a disagreement over who would feed their child.

Nathan Gemmell pleaded guilty to a pair of charges when he appeared in the dock at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court last week.

The 24-year-old admitted to assaulting and behaving in a threatening or abusive manner towards his girlfriend during the incident on December 28 last year.

The altercation took place at the Ardrossan home of Gemmell's partner, where he frequently stayed with her and her six children.

The argument between the pair started during a discussion about who would feed their seven-month-old child, the only one born from their relationship.

The procurator fiscal depute told the court that Gemmell had been asked to feed the baby and an argument ensued after 10 minutes had passed and he had still not done so.

To bring the argument to an end, his partner went upstairs but the accused followed her.

Gemmell, who court papers describe as residing in Mossgiel Road in Ardrossan, grabbed her by the shoulder causing her to fall to the ground.

The woman then entered the bathroom and called her father to ask for him to assist in removing Gemmell from her home.

At this point, she also requested that the 24-year-old leave the property or she would contact the police.

Gemmell then entered the bathroom, where his partner was sitting on the toilet, grabbing her legs and pulling her onto the floor.

The accused continued to walk in and out of the bathroom arguing with her before later going back downstairs.

His partner took this opportunity to phone the police and, while on this call, a further altercation could be heard.

Gemmell was heard to shout and swear at the woman, telling her that "this will backfire on you."

She remained upstairs throughout the call, as she tried to remain in a separate room from Gemmell until the police arrived.

Officers later came to the property and arrested the accused, who was taken to Saltcoats police office.

Following his arrest, the Ardrossan man was allowed to remain in contact with his partner after being granted bail on standard conditions.

After deferring sentence so background reports to be prepared, Sheriff Colin Bissett allowed for bail to be granted under the same conditions after hearing from Gemmell's solicitor.

They explained how the 24-year-old had remained in a relationship with his partner following the incident and there had been "no repetition" since this incident.

Gemmell will now return to court at a later date.