POLICE say no arrests have been made almost exactly six months after a female officer was seriously assaulted in Stevenston. 

Police Scotland say that "all lines of enquiry have now been completed" after the female officer was reportedly stabbed in Arthur Street on October 18, 2023.

In the months since the incident, police have repeatedly told the Herald that their "enquiries were ongoing" into the incident.

That changed in the force's latest update this week.

But the case has not been closed, with police insisting they will look into any new information that is brought to their attention.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Following an extensive investigation into a serious assault that happened in Arthur Street in Stevenston on Wednesday, October 18, 2023, all lines of enquiry have now been completed.

“Any new information will be investigated.”

What happened?

The serious assault took place while the officer was on duty responding to a report of a break-in at a property on the town's Arthur Street.

Two other officers were at the scene alongside the 30-year-old woman when she was attacked.

Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald: A major response followed the incident which took place nearly six months ago.

The officer was taken to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow for treatment. 

She was said to be in a "critical" condition at first, but this was later improved to "stable", and the officer was later discharged.

Dozens of officers were called in to investigate the incident, which Ayrshire's most senior police officer, Chief Superintendent Raymond Higgins, branded "despicable". 

The investigation

Eyewitness accounts at the time described how officers began combing the area around Arthur Street, and lifting drains, suggesting they were searching for something.

In the days that followed, further teams were sent to the Three Towns, and there was a significant increase in foot patrols.

Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald: A major response followed the incident which took place nearly six months ago.

Police vehicles were stationed at a number of locations around the surrounding streets, many of which were closed off to all except residents.

On Friday October 20, Police Scotland's major crimes team confirmed their involvement in the case.

At this stage, particular attention was being being paid towards the park behind Arthur Street, leading towards Stevenston Cemetery.

One week on from the attack, officers conducted a 'stop and interview' operation in Stevenston as they looked for further assistance with their investigations.

As the month drew to a close the major investigation team was seen scouring an area of grass and woodland in neighbouring Burnbank Street.

Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald: A major response followed the incident which took place nearly six months ago.

It is understood that North Ayrshire Council workers attended the scene to remove trees and clear bushes to allow the investigation to continue.

In November, the Crimestoppers charity came forward to offer a reward for anyone who may have key information on the case.

The organisation, which allows people to report crime without giving their name, is offering  £20,000 to anyone with information which leads to a conviction.

Anyone wishing to submit information to Crimestoppers can contact them anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at https://bit.ly/46w8WT6.

Police Scotland had previously set up an online portal for information to be submitted to them but it appears this has now closed.

However, anyone with new information can still contact Police Scotland via 101, quoting incident number 0240 of October 18, 2023.