Ladbrokes Premiership



by Stewart McConnell

BITTERLY disappointed Killie boss Steve Clarke admitted Sunday's live TV contest was over early in the match after two quickfire goals left second-placed Dons coasting.

Now he is urging his side to bounce back as they head to Perth on Saturday to face St Johnstone.

Clarke said afterwards: "It was a very bad start. It was game over after a few minutes.

"There was no point thinking about trying to get back into it after a start like that. It was a really slow start, we didn't get out of the traps and the game was over. You can't give good teams like that a two-goal start in a game.

"I don't know what caused the bad start. It's a big mystery. We will now dust ourselves down, we will come back and work even harder and try and do better at the weekend."

Back to the action and disaster struck for Killie in 56 seconds when visiting skipper Graeme Shinnie surged into the box and set up Kenny McLean, who fired a right foot effort past Jamie MacDonald. Then in 12 minutes the Dons were awarded a free-kick following a foul by Kirk Broadfoot on Gary Mackay-Steven, with the Killie player booked. The set-piece from Greg Tansey was picked up by Stevie May, whose header struck Broadfoot and Stephen O'Donnell before spinning past MacDonald.

Killie has claims for a penalty turned down in 21 minutes when Anthony O'Connor climbed over Lee Erwin but play was waved on.

The Dons looked to have scored again a minute after the break but Stevie May was adjudged offside.

The hosts came close in 61 minutes when Greg Taylor teed up Kris Boyd to shoot narrowly wide.

Six minutes later the hosts were back in the game when Stuart Findlay played a precision pass to Jordan Jones, who fired a low shot under Joe Lewis and into the net.

However 15 minutes from time the Dons sealed victory as poor defending from Broadfoot and Gordon Greer left allowed in May, who beat the two defenders before sending a low effort into the bottom corner of the net.

Killie were dealt a blow in the final minute when goalscorer Jones was given a second yellow card for a late challenge on Shay Logan.

KILMARNOCK: MacDonald; O'Donnell, Greer, Broadfoot, Findlay, McKenzie (K Boyd 46); Power, Frizzell (Dicker 46); Taylor, Jones, Erwin (Brophy 63). Subs not used: Thomas, Bell, S Boyd, Hawkshaw.


Alan Power 3

Gary Dicker 2

Jordan Jones 1