GARNOCK travelled the short distance to Renfrew to play Paisley in their last “trial” game before the rugby season restarts.

The game started with the visitors kicking off in bright sunny conditions on the composite Astroturf. They spent the first few minutes well inside the Paisley 22 metre area. In two minutes they were awarded the first lineout. With Jonny Watson easily winning the throw-in, the pattern was set for the remainder of the game. Between Watson, Rory Dominy and Lewis McGeachey Garnock won the vast majority of the game’s many lineouts.

From a set scrum in the middle of the field of play 30 metres out, the ball was fed out to the back division. The ball was handled by Nos. 9,10, 13 to release Dominy who touched down well out. The conversion was missed but with only five minutes played, Garnock were 5-0 ahead.

The visitors continued to dominate in the set pieces and only staunch defence by Paisley kept the scoreboard from moving on.

From a scrum on the halfway line the forwards fed through Ben Trodden to Walker who in turn released Jared Reekie. The young centre had the pace and strength to force his way over from 50 metres out to score at the posts for a well-worked try. Walker converted to make it 12-0 after 13 minutes.

Again, Garnock pressed well inside the Paisley half and from a lineout near the Paisley try line Alan Miller picked up and crashed over. The conversion was missed but with 17 minutes played Garnock moved 17-0 ahead.

Paisley then started to pose serious threats to the Garnock defence. It took last minute tackles from Danny Irvine, Fraser Brocket and David Ramsey Miller to prevent them from scoring.

The second half started with a bang when Brocket scored near the touch line after only a minute played. This was increased when Reekie fielded the Paisley restart at his own 22 metre line. He jinked and weaved his way through the home defence to score a fine individualistic try well out. This conversion by Walker was good and Garnock led 29-0 after 43 minutes.

In 48t minutes Garnock were in possession near the halfway line. They elected to run a penalty award, continued pressing to the home try line. The ball was handled by the backs and full back Perry came into the line to score a try to make it 34-0.

Four minutes later Dominy broke loose from the halfway, evaded several tackles and fed to Reekie who touched-down near the posts. Walker converted to push the score to 41-0.

At this point Garnock were completely dominating the game and playing entertaining rugby.

The Garnock scoring was rounded off with two further unconverted tries. Dominy scored from a typical pick-up and run to outpace any would-be cover.

The final score came from Ben Trodden. From a loose ball inside the Garnock half Ian Loach burst free, “sprinted” forward and released Trodden who raced 40 metres to score near the touchline, making it 51-0.

GARNOCK: Joe Chapman; Richard O’Neil, Luke Wynn, Lewis McGeachey, Jonny Watson, Alan Miller, David R Miller, Rory Dominy, Ben Trodden, Keir Walker, Ross Johnstone, Danny Irvine, Jared Reekie, Fraser Brocket, Ewan Perry, Ross Brocket, James Gibb, Ian Loach, Matthew Richmond.

Saturday sees Garnock travel to Glasgow to play Alan Glen’s in the Tennent's Shield with a 3pm kick-off.