Tennent's National League Rugby 3



By Danny McGreish

ACCIES' visitors on Saturday were current league leaders Gordonians.

At the start, the home side were in fourth place and 19 points behind the Aberdeen club, but by the end they had slipped to eighth place and 24 points adrift.

Apart from the deplorable conditions with a gale force wind blowing across a very heavy pitch, Accies were without their first choice prop forwards and also the influential Gordon Telfer

Stuart Lewis kicked off for Accies, the ball was caught and booted upfield where it was knocked on giving the visitors the first scrum. From a pick-up at the base of the set piece the ball was moved wide, but it was spilled, giving the home side a scrum. Gordonians drove them back and were awarded the first of their 15 penalties. Opting for a kick to touch and the possibility of a driven lineout, it all came to nothing.

Accies' scrum was being driven back but they were still getting the ball away, indeed, from one move an Andy Duncan drive upfield was continued by Finlay Cairns, the ball was recycled from a ruck and a grubber kick put through the advancing defence, bouncing into touch 10 metres from the try line.

Gordonians' pressure was finally rewarded in 20 minutes when an Accies scrum inside their own 22 was driven back and big second row Andrew McInnes barged over for the visitors' first try, the conversion was missed.

The visitors had the home side on the back foot. Their infringement count was also rising with eight penalties conceded within the first 25 minutes.

Two minutes later Gordonians scored their second try - a break by their scrum half and quick hands allowed left wing Stuart McMillan to go in for the score, the conversion was missed.

With half-time approaching the visitors' domination continued, their outside centre Danny Osugo gathered a loose ball and broke through three attempted tackles to score. The conversion was missed.

Accies opened their account after Stuart Lewis kicked a penalty.

Gordonians' kick-off to start the second half was gathered by Nathan Welsh who drove upfield to set up a ruck, the recycled ball was sent to touch for a lineout on the halfway line. A good take by Stuart Lamont released the backs but again the ball was spilled, giving Gordonians the scrum.

Accies' tighthead prop Craig McLaughlin was injured and had to withdraw, the scrums were to be uncontested for the remainder of the match.

The home side were having their best spell of the match and did launch several promising attacks involving Andy Duncan,Euan Thompson and Scott Campbell but when the ball was sent wide the crucial final pass was not going to hand. Accies eventually scored after Robert Hunter finished off a good move to go in for a try

In 65 minutes the Gordonians number 10 Alec Williams punted downfield and the ball rolled into the dead ball area. With two Accies players there, the ball was seemingly touched down, a Gordonians player then arrived and dived on it. To the consternation of the home support a try was awarded, the referee decided that no downward pressure had been applied by the Accies player so a score was given. The conversion was good.

Accies were desperately attacking but not clinical enough to turn pressure into points.

Gordonians further extended their lead after Graeme Crawford kicked a penalty in 70 minutes.

With 10 minutes remaining Accies did come close to scoring but opportunities went begging, with flinging "floating" passes in the conditions just was not working. They eventually scored after Kieran Coupar finished off a move to dive in for the try. The conversion was missed.

In the final move, Danny Osugo ran through ineffective defence then transferred the ball to Timothy Orr, who went in for the score. The conversion was good.