National League Three



by Danny McGreish

Accies  seven -game winning run continued last Saturday with a victory of 31 - 10 over their South Ayrshire visitors , indeed ! the last time they lost was back on November 3rd against Gordonians. Despite suffering 2 yellow cards and on a very heavy pitch, their pack put in another dominant performance providing a solid platform for their speedy three-quarter line to work their magic.

Carrick kicked off the match playing towards the school end, the ball was received by Euan Thomson who supported by Nathan Welsh  drove up the middle. A penalty was awarded to Accies and Stuart Lewis kicked to touch for an attacking lineout.

For the first ten minutes of the match the home side had their visitors on the back foot, they were switching their point of attack and only a combination of desperate defending and final passes being spilled was preventing them from putting points on the board.

Carrick eventually got into the match, with the home side beginning to concede penalties they were able to get inside the Accies 22. Using close driving support they did come close but spirited defence from the Accies was effective in keeping them from scoring.

Accies did have a chance to open their account when the ball was moved wide at pace, Ruairidh Anderson released Grant Lewis on the left wing, with only the Full Back to beat he opted for the kick and chase but the defender managed to get to the ball first and bundle it into touch very close to the try line.

Accies pressure finally was rewarded when they were awarded a penalty on Carrick's 22 line; Stuart Lewis duly put 3 points for the home side to go in front after 20 minutes.

Accies went further ahead 5 minutes later after a fine passage of forward play - Scott Campbell drove very close to the line - the ball was recycled and Prop Forward Kyle McNulty was at hand to pick up and drive over. Stuart Lewis converted to put his side on 10 points.

Stuart Lewis added another 3 points on the 30th minute after Carrick had been penalised for offside at a ruck.

With half time approaching Accies were reduced to 14 after Connor McCann was yellow-carded for a high tackle, full-back John Fulton kicked the penalty to open his side's account.

The second half started with Accies continuing to pressurise the Carrick defence, a clean break by Bruce Hunter who then chipped ahead, but the race to the line was won by the cover defence who carried over giving the Accies the scrum. Such was their dominance in the set piece that they were going for the push over, twice the scrum was reset - on the third surge forward the ball came out the side and was bundled in to touch.

Stuart Lewis added another three points after a Carrick player had been penalised for not releasing in the tackle.

Gordon Telfer came off the bench to replace Jamie Thomson

Accies went further ahead in 15 minutes after Connor McCann  latched onto the ball inside his 22  then sprinted the length of the pitch to score an opportunist try, the conversion was missed.

An injury to Stuart Lewis forced him to leave the field; he was replaced by his brother Grant with Robert Hunter filling the left wing berth.

Accies were reduced again in numbers after Euan Thomson was sent to the sin bin for ten minutes.

Carrick used their numerical advantage to take play into the home side's 22, after several drives to the line inside centre Michael Parker went in for the score. John Fulton converted to put his side on 10 points after 25 minutes of play.

With Accies back to full compliment they soon scored their third try, from turn over ball Grant Lewis used his pace to race down the left touchline and score, the conversion was missed.

With ten minutes remaining Logan Maxwell replace Kyle McNulty in the front row.

As full time approached Accies were awarded another penalty -  kick to touch for an attacking lineout   -  catch by Stuart Lamont and a Ben Hamilton drive was finished off by Gordon Telfer scoring Accies 4th and bonus point try. The conversion was missed.