McBookie League One



PROMOTION-challenging Winton had to pull out all the stops to overcome a Lugar outfit who look to be in a false position in bottom spot. Boss Stevie Wilson was expecting a difficult match against a young Thistle team that included a number of Ayr United youth players.

Winton created the first chance in the opening minute when Davie Cunningham was just unable to connect with Jamie Cunningham’s dangerous cross to the back post.

Thistle hit back five minutes later but Paul Smith’s effort went over the bar. They then came close when the dangerous Jamie Conn picked up the ball and broke down field and got into the box but Chris Lamb did well to block his shot. At this point Rovers hadn’t really got going and weren’t finding their men while Lugar were playing some good passing football and looking the more dangerous.

In 20 minutes a good run by Conn saw his cross into the box met by Smith but his shot was blocked and cleared by Chris Lamb and Jordan Bruce. Three minutes later a good move from Winton down the right saw David Adams play the ball to David Smith but his cross went behind for a goal kick.
The visitors paid for not taking their chances in 34 minutes when Rovers took the lead against the run of play and Thistle were reduced to 10 men.

Jamie McKenna chased a kick out from Lamb to the right corner of the box and as he tried to get into the box he was fouled by centre half Robbie Crolley. The referee awarded Winton a free-kick right on the edge of the penalty area and sent Crolley off. Davie Cunningham hit a low hard shot into the bottom corner. In 40 minutes, David Smith picked up a knock and had to be replaced by Sean Mears. With half-time fast approaching Rovers doubled their lead when Jamie McKenna again chased the ball to the edge of the box and although Louis Kerr, the Lugar goalkeeper, was coming out to the edge of his box the striker lifted the ball over him then followed it into the goalmouth to make sure. Winton suffered another injury blow in 55 minutes when Maxwell went down as he tried to tackle Conn and although Conn got into the box his shot went wide. The Rovers captain was unable to continue and was replaced by Paul Young. Winton were beginning to create chances and playing some decent football and a good move saw Kerr block an Adams shot and although the striker tried to head the loose ball home, the danger was cleared.

ARDROSSAN WR: Lamb; Smith, Hunter, D Wilson, Longair, Maxwell, Bruce, J Cunningham, Adams, McKenna, D Cunningham, Subs: Mears, Young, Stevenson, Watson, C Wilson