West of Scotland Cup First Round


LESMAHAGOW 2 (Winton won 7-6 on penalties)

By Stewart McConnell

FRASER Smith sunk the winning penalty after Blair Lochhead had saved a spot-kick in a thriller under the floodlights as Winton progressed against their League One rivals.

This was a cracking advert for Friday night football, with four goals, two red cards and a pulsating finale.

The visitors began well and in two minutes an inswinging cross from Craig Forbes was cut out by the Winton defence. Three minutes later, Blair Lochhead bravely saved at the feet of Kris Jarvis.

‘Gow cashed in on their early pressure in 18 minutes when Jason Thomson slammed a shot home at the far post.

Winton came close three minutes later when Peter Haggarty shot narrowly wide from 20 yards.

The same player sent another shot just last a post three minutes later.

Rory Campbell saw his 18-yard effort blocked by a defender in 31 minutes.

Gow were unlucky three minutes later when Neil Shoneville sent an eight-yard header just over the bar.

Derek Kennedy had a shot from the edge of the box deflected wide in 42 minutes.

Another Kennedy cross was headed wide by the visiting defence a minute later.

Winton levelled with a great goal in 53 minutes when a Stuart Hannah rocket hit the post and Peter Haggarty drilled home the rebound from 10 yards.

Then a minute later ‘Gow almost regained their lead when a 20-yard effort from Scott Shoneville smacked off the post.

Lochhead denied Jason Thomson from 10 yards out in 58 minutes.

Winton were reduced to 10 men in 65 minutes when Hannah was harshly sent off for a second booking following a challenge in 61 minutes.

A 16-yard rocket from Thomson was confidently clutched by Lochhead four minutes later.

Winton went 2-1 up in 73 minutes when a Rory Campbell cross was turned into his own net by Paul Woodlock.

Three minutes later Gow were reduced to 10 men when Scott Shoneville was red-carded for kicking out at a Winton opponent.

However in 83 minutes ‘Gow equalised with a 25-yard rocket from Thomson.

We then moved into the dramatic finale which saw the first six kicks converted before Lochhead saved and Smith sealed the win.

ARDROSSAN WINTON ROVERS: Blair Lochhead; Brown, McFarland, McGregor, Smith, Kyle Lochhead, Hannah, Campbell, David Kennedy, Haggarty, McMenamay. Subs: Henderson, Cashmore, Black, Darren Kennedy, Bruce.