RELENTLESS Auchinleck Talbot will aim to keep on winning in 2020 after opening the new year with a thumping victory.

That was the message from boss Tommy Sloan after they swept aside a Beith side, from whom they regained the title last season, 4-0 at Beechwood Park.

Sloan, whose team have only lost once this season, said: “Beith are a really good side and have won trophies in recent seasons. But I was really pleased with the way we started the year.

“We played really well in the second half and took our chances.

“We have a tricky West of Scotland Cup tie away to Kilwinning.

They had a good win against Rossvale on Saturday and are at the top of the league. Hopefully we can get through. We must aim to keep our run going before we start our midweek fixtures in February.”

Meanwhile Lugar Boswell Thistle lost 3-1 at home to Vale of Leven, in a match which saw home striker Jordan Connolly red-carded for an off-the-ball incident. Lugar took the lead after 11 minutes. Scott Sherry picked up a ball out of defence and ran down the right flank before firing a low shot past Vale ‘keeper Reece Pollock. That lead lasted barely a minute, however, thanks to Lugar’s continuing difficulties defending set pieces. On this occasion it was a corner from the right that did the damage and Robbie Dolan’s flag kick was headed into the net by Scott Gallagher. Late in the first half, Gallagher scored again and just after the break, Ross Lyden sealed victory. After a referee inspection, Burnside Park was deemed unplayable for Muirkirk’s promotion clash with Johnstone Burgh. They face Blantyre Vics away in the West of Scotland Cup on Saturday.

New goalie Kieran Hughes was handed a debut as Cumnock drew 0-0 away to Hurlford United. Ryan Caddis missed a couple of first half chances with Paul Burns also coming close. Cumnock were dealt a hammer blow in 70 minutes when they were reduced to 10 men after Greg Ferry received a straight red card for a tackle on Marc McKenzie. Kyle McAusland and Dan Orsi were on target as Glenafton Athletic drew 2-2 at home to Clydebank.