Ardagh Group West of Scotland Cup Second Round



A BIG crowd turned out to watch this much postponed tie against a Troon side struggling in the McBookie Premiership.

Rovers however were without cup-tied Jamie McKenna, suspended Kyle Lochhead and injured Peter Haggarty.

In what would turn out to be a fairly scrappy match with chances for both sides being limited the first 15 minutes the teams were evenly matched with the long lay-off probably leaving both sets of players rusty. The first real attempts came around the half hour.

First Troon won a free-kick but Dean Keenan’s ball into the goalmouth was easily dealt with after 28 minutes.

Two minutes later Ryan McKie won a free-kick on the left, but the ball was hit into the Troon wall and was cleared.

Blair Lochhead then made a good save from Dean Fulton as Winton kept seeing their promising moves break down due to poor final balls.

However, in 39 minutes. Winton made the breakthrough when another good move saw the ball played to Ryan McKie who fired home from 15 yard.

From the restart Troon went down the pitch and Michael Lennox did well to block a shot from John Gemmell in 40 minutes.

The second half started the same way as the first with very few real moves or chances from either side in the first 15 minutes although on the hour Dean Keenan fired a free-kick wide from 20 yards from Troon.

Michael Lennox then made a goal-saving tackle on Morrison. Each side then had a chance with Kennan shooting wide from the edge of the box then Scott Johnstone made a good save from Jamie Henderson.

Troon finally got an equaliser in 78 minutes when Rovers lost the ball out on their left which was picked up by Dean Fulton, who was lucky still to be on the pitch after only being booked for a very poor foul on Ryan McKie minutes earlier, ran at the defence, got into the box and fired into the far corner of the net.

A couple of minutes later Winton looked to have scored when a good build-up saw Jamie Henderson apparently shooting into an empty net until somehow a defender appeared from nowhere to clear the ball off the line.

In 85 minutes, Blair Lochhead made a good save from Gemmell and the game seemed to be heading for a draw and penalties until four minutes into injury- time the referee decided to add on despite there being only one substitution and no significant delays for injuries during the game and Rovers conceded a free-kick 30 yards out. Gemmell hit a piledriver and the wall broke, allowing him to score to give the visitors a narrow win.

ARDROSSAN WR: Blair Lochhead; Brown, McFarland, McGregor, Lennox, Hannah, Henderson, Campbell, Kennedy, Hunter, McKie. Subs: Bruce, Smith, McMenamay. Black, Harvey.

TROON: Johnstone; Sherrie, Keenan, Strachan, Gallagher, Morrison, Gemmell, Maley, Fulton, Reilly, Barbour

Subs: Chatham, Pooler, McTaggart, Fraser.