BEITH Juniors have been left in limbo, after their game against Largs Thistle was abandoned.

Though, unlike many other matches at the weekend, this was not due to the freezing conditions.

In fact, the match was called after around 91 minutes of play - with The Mighty having just made the score 3-1.

This match was an incredibly tight affair, which saw Largs Thistle take the lead through ex-Kilbirnie man Alan Frizzell before Conner McGlinchey levelled the match before half-time at Barrfields.

Andy Monk then put Beith ahead, with both sides going at it hammer and tongs in search of the all important fourth goal.

So when Josh Fowler netted at the beginning of injury time, it looked like all three points would be heading back to the Garnock Valley.

Though as the young striker wheeled away, some fans claimed he took his celebrations to the Largs technical area, which has now led to the match being thrown into disrepute.

The scenes which followed saw both managers, Chris Strain of Beith and Stuart Davidson of Largs, sent off. Then, as reported by Beith on social media, “a scuffle” started as they made their way to the dressing rooms.

This led to referee Calum Haswell blowing the whistle on proceedings, which were due to last 94 minutes - though not for full time, as the match was abandoned.

It means the result, until the WoSFL make a decision, is considered void - denying Beith three points which would have saw them move top of the league.

League officials say they now await the referees report from the match, before the matter is taken further.

Both sides are expected to co-operate fully with any investigation, which may include the use of CCTV footage available from Thistle’s clubhouse.

John Dalton, general secretary of the WoSFL, said: “At present the WoSFL are awaiting the report from the match referee.

“Once this has been received, it will be considered by the League to determine whether any of the matters raised in the report require further investigation by the League or whether it will fall under the jurisdiction of the Scottish FA.

“The League will not pre-judge any potential outcome of any investigation and will only make a decision based on the full facts available to the League once we have completed our due process.”