THE Three Towns' three West of Scotland Football League teams enjoyed a memorable day on Saturday as the season approaches its climax.

Of the nine points available to Ardrossan Winton Rovers, Ardeer Thistle and Saltcoats Victoria - seven were picked up across their matches.

Winton Rovers enjoyed a particularly fruitful afternoon in their pursuit of promotion from the Third Division.

They travelled to face Lanark United on Saturday - a side who were level on points with Gavin Friels' side at the top of the table, only behind the Winton Park team on goal difference.

However, a double from Ryan Wilson and a Keiran McLaughlin strike handed Winton a 3-0 win and breathing space in top spot.

Coupled with surprise defeat for Irvine Victoria at home to Vale of Leven, the result now means only two of the sides below Winton can overtake the Ardrossan side if they win their games in hand - and Friels' men would remain in the promotion spots.

At the opposite end of the table, Saltcoats Victoria showed defiance despite their relegation by holding title favourites Vale of Clyde to a draw at Campbell Park.

Vics' relegation to the bottom tier had been confirmed a few days earlier after a 2-0 loss at Kello Rovers - but Derek Frye's men demonstrated plenty of fighting spirit on Saturday by drawing 2-2 with their Glasgow visitors.

The outcome could have been even better for Frye's side, who led 2-0 thanks to goals from Callum McDade and Greg Kean - but a Paul Donaghy double for Vale and a red card for Vics meant they had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Winton's next game is away to Port Glasgow this Saturday (May 6), while Saltcoats travel to Carluke.

In the Second Division, meanwhile, Ardeer Thistle fought their way out of the relegation zone with a 2-1 win away to Glasgow United - a result which all but relegated the home side in the process.

Dylan Stevenson's penalty had Thistle in front at the break, and though the hosts levelled with 12 minutes to go, despite having had a man sent off earlier in the second half, their goalscorer was also shown a red card for his celebration.

And with five minutes left substitute Robert Frew netted the winner, lifting Ardeer to 12th place - two positions, but only one point, above the relegation zone.

A huge final five games await for Sean Kenney's side, who now face promotion-chasing Maybole at home this Saturday.